Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Thomas J. Holmes Jr." <to...@tomholmes.net> on 2004/12/06 20:00:11 UTC

[users@httpd] Free/Inexpensive Chat Server

I have a Windows 2000 (SP3) Server, with Apache 2.0.52, Tomcat 5.29, and
mod_jk2_2.0.43.dll running just fine (since the latest 2.0.49 doesn't work).

I'm looking for a free or inexpensive chat server for my Apache 2.0.52
web-server.  It can be based on PHP or Java, or any other language.   I
do plan on porting my Apache and Tomcat to Suse 9.1 Linux at some point
soon, and I also hope to have mySQL running as well.

So, if anyone has any suggestions on which free/in-expensive Chat Server
to use, that would be great.

Thanks.

            Tom

Re: [users@httpd] Free/Inexpensive Chat Server

Posted by "Tom Holmes Jr." <to...@tomholmes.net>.
Eric Ladner wrote:
> Does it have to be web based?

I'd prefer it to be.  I'd want the users to see who was on-line with
them and be able to chat with one or more.  Most of my users may not be
computer-literate, so I'd want something simple.  I imagine, this would
be somewhat Java-Applet based for the client.

I'm not in a rush for this, I'd just figure I do some research and see
what I could find.

There used to be a company called "iChat" and I implemented a web-based
Chat System using "iChat" for an old .com site called "PlanetDirect"
based in Andover.   So, I'd just thought I'd see if something like that
or better was around.

Thanks.

               Tom

Posted by Eric Ladner <er...@gmail.com>.
Does it have to be web based?

<to...@tomholmes.net> wrote:
> I have a Windows 2000 (SP3) Server, with Apache 2.0.52, Tomcat 5.29, and
> mod_jk2_2.0.43.dll running just fine (since the latest 2.0.49 doesn't work).
>
> I'm looking for a free or inexpensive chat server for my Apache 2.0.52
> web-server.  It can be based on PHP or Java, or any other language.   I
> do plan on porting my Apache and Tomcat to Suse 9.1 Linux at some point
> soon, and I also hope to have mySQL running as well.
>
> So, if anyone has any suggestions on which free/in-expensive Chat Server
> to use, that would be great.
>
> Thanks.
>
>             Tom

Eric Ladner

Re: [users@httpd] Free/Inexpensive Chat Server

Posted by Darin Holloway <jd...@blue.net>.
Jabber is also good for small deployments, there are servers and clients
written in most of the major languages.

http://www.jabber.org/about/overview.php

Laura Vance wrote:

> It might be easier to set up an IRC server.  If you limit it to only
> accept the connections you desire, you'll have no problem.  IRC is not
> very system intensive, and it can run on a spare machine (old/replaced
> server) without much horsepower.
>
> Thomas J. Holmes Jr. wrote:
>
>> I have a Windows 2000 (SP3) Server, with Apache 2.0.52, Tomcat 5.29,
>> and mod_jk2_2.0.43.dll running just fine (since the latest 2.0.49
>> doesn't work).
>>
>> I'm looking for a free or inexpensive chat server for my Apache
>> 2.0.52 web-server.  It can be based on PHP or Java, or any other
>> language.   I do plan on porting my Apache and Tomcat to Suse 9.1
>> Linux at some point soon, and I also hope to have mySQL running as well.
>>
>> So, if anyone has any suggestions on which free/in-expensive Chat
>> Server to use, that would be great. Thanks.
>>
>>            Tom

Darin Holloway
Systems Administrator and Web Developer
Bluegrass Network, LLC

Re: [users@httpd] Free/Inexpensive Chat Server

Posted by Laura Vance <va...@winfreeacademy.com>.

Thomas J. Holmes Jr. wrote:

> I have a Windows 2000 (SP3) Server, with Apache 2.0.52, Tomcat 5.29,
> and mod_jk2_2.0.43.dll running just fine (since the latest 2.0.49
> doesn't work).
>
> I'm looking for a free or inexpensive chat server for my Apache 2.0.52
> web-server.  It can be based on PHP or Java, or any other language.
> I do plan on porting my Apache and Tomcat to Suse 9.1 Linux at some
> point soon, and I also hope to have mySQL running as well.
>
> So, if anyone has any suggestions on which free/in-expensive Chat
> Server to use, that would be great.
> Thanks.
>
>            Tom

Laura Vance