Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2003/02/04 16:50:01 UTC

[Proposal] Avalon Framework Release Plan

Framework is fairly straightforward, and code-wise is pretty stable.
However, all the site docs that are part of the Framework build not
only make the build process longer than it needs to be, but throws
far too many documents into the release.  Because of this the
distributable is too large.

By removing all the "proposal", "logos", "documentation", "diagrams",
and "maven" source files out of the source distribution I cut the size
in half.  I think we can make it even smaller with just the Framework
docs.

* Take all site documentation that is not directly framework related out
   of Framework.

* Integrate Framework's documenation with the site documentation
   hierarchy

* Decide wether to include the LogKit JAR file in the release.  We
   can work without LogKit, users can download LogKit separately, and
   we can lower the download size even more.

Re: [Proposal] Avalon Framework Release Plan

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 19:42, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> It's a Cocoon CLI "feature", not of the sitemap. If a page is not
> present, Cocoon creates the broken link page.
>
> Ususally the fix is to include the contents that the link should show in
> the sources, and Forrest will take care of them, or to overwrite that
> page after the Forrest run with the contents.
>
> What do you want to see? Just remove that page? Why?

Add the pages to filterlinks passed into the link view to avoid generating
pages in first place.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: [Proposal] Avalon Framework Release Plan

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Leo Simons wrote:
> oh, one more thing....
>
> Nicola or someone else with the knowledge, could you please set up a
> forrest sitemap so that we don't get the broken link pages for the
> apidocs 'n stuff? I find the docs on it confusing %-|

It's a Cocoon CLI "feature", not of the sitemap. If a page is not
present, Cocoon creates the broken link page.

Ususally the fix is to include the contents that the link should show in
the sources, and Forrest will take care of them, or to overwrite that
page after the Forrest run with the contents.

What do you want to see? Just remove that page? Why?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [Proposal] Avalon Framework Release Plan

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
oh, one more thing....

Nicola or someone else with the knowledge, could you please set up a
forrest sitemap so that we don't get the broken link pages for the
apidocs 'n stuff? I find the docs on it confusing %-|

- LSD

Re: [Proposal] Avalon Framework Release Plan

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
ok. All doable. You get started if you want, I'll finish things up
tomorrow :D

- LSD

Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Most of the changes look about right.
<snip/>

Re: [Proposal] Avalon Framework Release Plan

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> I stripped out and simplified lots of things.
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/~leosimons/jakarta-avalon.zip
>
> didn't take too much effort. I didn't want to commit all these changes
> right now as I don't want to impact work others may have in the pipeline
> right now, and y'all might disagree with the simplifications I made.

Most of the changes look about right.  The only thing is that I would
like src/xdocs to be the home for the content.  It is something most
developers are used to.

Also, the src/xdocs that are in the jakarta-avalon repo would strictly
be for Framework.

Lastly, the ANT build file needs to assume ANT is properly installed
(remove necessity on ANT), and provide functionality to get any
additional JARS necessary for compilation from the Maven repositories.

That requires something along the lines where we check to see if a
library is available, and if not we pull the latest and cache it in
the lib/ directory.

Our CVS should not have any libs in there if at all possible.

Re: [Proposal] Avalon Framework Release Plan

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
I stripped out and simplified lots of things.

http://cvs.apache.org/~leosimons/jakarta-avalon.zip

didn't take too much effort. I didn't want to commit all these changes
right now as I don't want to impact work others may have in the pipeline
right now, and y'all might disagree with the simplifications I made.

Nicola, lemme know how you're doing with the docs.

You should get the idea from the zipfile. Basically something like

- rm -Rf src/xdocs
- cp -R proposal/avalon-forrest/src/documentation/content/xdocs \
   src/documentation/content/
- cp -R proposal/avalon-forrest/src/documentation/resources \
   src/documentation/resources
- rm -Rf src/documentation/skins \
   src/documentation/resources/schema \
   src/documentation/library \
   src/documentation/content/history
- cp proposal/forrest* .
- cp tools/ext/logk* tools/lib
- rm -Rf tools/ext/
- mv tools/lib/* lib/
- mv logos ../jakarta-avalon-site/src
- rm -Rf src/diagrams (these need updating or removal)
- rm -Rf tools/lib/
- rm -Rf proposal
- rm $some_misc_cruft_I_forgot
- fix up buildfile

with on the todo:
- add back in announcement incidentally snipped
- developing with avalon
- missing licenses for a few jars

the big thing to notice is that everyting in tools/ext except for the
logkit jar can go, and some stuff from tools/lib too, which cleans up
nicely :D

I've got no time anymore right now to fix this properly but can do so
tomorrow afternoon (gmt+1) if no-one beats me to it.

cheers!

- Leo

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Framework is fairly straightforward, and code-wise is pretty stable.
> However, all the site docs that are part of the Framework build not
> only make the build process longer than it needs to be, but throws
> far too many documents into the release.  Because of this the
> distributable is too large.
>
> By removing all the "proposal", "logos", "documentation", "diagrams",
> and "maven" source files out of the source distribution I cut the size
> in half.  I think we can make it even smaller with just the Framework
> docs.
>
> * Take all site documentation that is not directly framework related out
>   of Framework.

+1. Already mostly done. The current docs used for generation of
avalon.apache.org/framework are in proposal/. I need to finish the
migration of xdocs. Moving over logos 'n stuff should be a snap.

> * Integrate Framework's documenation with the site documentation
>   hierarchy

+1. Already mostly done. see above.

> * Decide wether to include the LogKit JAR file in the release.  We
>   can work without LogKit, users can download LogKit separately, and
>   we can lower the download size even more.

+0 on including it, -0 on not including it. (ie no strong opinion but
slightly preferring convenience here)

cheers,

- Leo

Re: [Proposal] Avalon Framework Release Plan

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Framework is fairly straightforward, and code-wise is pretty stable.
> However, all the site docs that are part of the Framework build not
> only make the build process longer than it needs to be, but throws
> far too many documents into the release.  Because of this the
> distributable is too large.
>
> By removing all the "proposal", "logos", "documentation", "diagrams",
> and "maven" source files out of the source distribution I cut the size
> in half.  I think we can make it even smaller with just the Framework
> docs.
>
> * Take all site documentation that is not directly framework related out
>   of Framework.
>
> * Integrate Framework's documenation with the site documentation
>   hierarchy
>
> * Decide wether to include the LogKit JAR file in the release.  We
>   can work without LogKit, users can download LogKit separately, and
>   we can lower the download size even more.

Oh yeah!

* Have the Framework build script download LogKit from the maven
   repositories if it is not done locally.

* Get rid of as many of the JARs in the tools directory as possible
   by fully migrating to Forrest.