Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/01 12:16:35 UTC

Re: Let's switch to time-based releases

Great! I gather from the reactions in this thread that we have
consensus on the principle, we "just" need to do it :-). And figure
out some details.

- WC multiple format support: we're okay for now (1.8 - 1.10 have the
same format), but for 1.11 it would be good if we can make
better-pristines happen (go Brane! :-).

- Frequency: should we aim for 6 months, or 9, 12, ... for the "fast
releases" (and "long term support" releases, each a couple of years
apart)? I'd stick with my initial proposal: 6 month release cycle, and
designate one as an LTS release every 2 years, of which we support one
fully, and one more with only security fixes.

If any of our packagers / distributors / integrators has some feedback
here, that'd be most welcome.

--
Johan

Re: Let's switch to time-based releases

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 7:13 PM, Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2017, at 5:38 AM, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> On 01.12.2017 13:16, Johan Corveleyn wrote:
>>> Great! I gather from the reactions in this thread that we have
>>> consensus on the principle, we "just" need to do it :-). And figure
>>> out some details.
>>
>> Will that be Subversion 18.04 Anticlimactic Albatross?
>
> Please, please, DON'T do names like that!!!

Hehe, no :-).

In fact, we haven't really talked about version numbers / names in
this thread, and I'd like to keep it that way. I think this is
orthogonal to "should we go for time-based releases?". I suggest if
someone wants to discuss our versioning scheme, he/she should start a
new thread. Otherwise, I think we should just stick with our current
versioning scheme for now [1].

[1] http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/releasing.html#release-numbering

--
Johan