Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Peter Flynn <pf...@imbolc.ucc.ie> on 2002/11/26 15:14:44 UTC

[users@httpd] Weird missing libjserv.a in old JServ/Apache

I have to install Apache (1.3.7) with JServ (1.1.2) in order to keep
a server running for a few weeks until we can replace it with a new
machine running Tomcat. Life is made more fun by having to do it
from source (under RH 6.2) because up2date broke the RPM database :-)

I've configured and installed the Apache (with --enable-shared=max)
and that tests out OK on its own. Then did the JServ (with a whole
raft of options to get round the silly places the JRE and JSDK have
been installed in :-). That all went fine, it recognised the Apache
apxs for DSO, and seems to have picked up everything it needed.

So the final step (according to INSTALL) is to go back and reconfigure
and make Apache with the
--activate-module=src/modules/jserv/libjserv.a option so it can pick
up the stuff JServ has placed in its source directory.

It gags on a missing libjserv.a

For some weird reason, JServ didn't create any such thing as
src/modules/jserv/libjserv.a (in fact there's no modules directory
under src in the Apache source directory). The Makefile in JServ's
src/c looks OK but it's obvious that there are some bodged to make
or not make libjserv.a in certain circumstances (Sun, HP...) but
no mention of RH6.2. It looks like it never created libjserv.a at
all.

Is there a workaround for this? Has anyone seen it before? And
what should libjserv.a actually contain?

///Peter