Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Alex Objelean <al...@isdc.ro> on 2007/09/06 13:34:22 UTC

Why the AbstractRepeater#onBeforeRender is final wicket-1.3.0-SNAPSHOT (6 sept 2007)?

I've grabbed the latest SNAPSHOT from the repository and have noticed that
AbstractRepeater#onBeforeRender is final. I wonder what is the reason for
this? (I need to do something in it's subclass)
	/**
	 * @see org.apache.wicket.Component#onBeforeRender()
	 */
	protected final void onBeforeRender()
	{
		if (isVisibleInHierarchy())
		{
			onPopulate();
		}
		super.onBeforeRender();
	}

Alex

Re: Why the AbstractRepeater#onBeforeRender is final wicket-1.3.0-SNAPSHOT (6 sept 2007)?

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
sure no problem, just point them out :)

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
ok,

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
no not for the onces that make a Repeater.
Because then we aren't being able to tell that the populate should really be
done before the call to super.onBeforeRender

So having an onPopulate is fine. Repeaters should use that method to
populate them selfs and we then also take care of the order
but if somebody extends again that repeater he should be able to overwrite
onBeforeRender()
i think classes that implement the onPopulate should make that method
final... Because that shouldn't be overridable (we don't have the check
there that super is called)

So just removing final of onBeforeRender (for developers who extend the real
repeater again)
and having an onPopulate for concreet classes that extend AbstractRepeater
directly. (and those should make onPopulate final)

johan

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
and?

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
please tell me, tell me!

johan

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Objelean <al...@isdc.ro>.
Indeed, onbeforerendercalled is an ugly name for a method (maybe choose other
name? :) ... just kidding.
My point is: as long as I want to override the onBeforeRender, I am aware of
the fact that I must call super to make it working properly, otherwise I
will get a nasty exception or unexpected behavior.
That is why I think that a solution could be a method which can be
overridden, without being worried to call its super, OR inform the user from
javadoc to pay attention when overriding it. Anyway, you as the core
developer will take the final (hope not the final onbeforerender :D)
solution.

my 2c :)

Alex.

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Objelean <al...@isdc.ro>.
The way I do it, is this:

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
the reason for it being final is that the super.onbeforerender() call HAS to

Posted by Alex Objelean <al...@isdc.ro>.
Done. Here is the issue link:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-935 WICKET-935

Posted by Matej Knopp <ma...@gmail.com>.