Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by SmAsH <pa...@freenet.de> on 2003/08/26 16:34:03 UTC

documentation translation

Hello,

if you feel the like I'd translate the Documentation into German, I am just a bit confused about the old and the new one, so could you point me directly to the new english documentation, which includes the changes of the buildscripts etc.?

best regards
Patrick

Re: documentation translation

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Sorry this is taking so long... please do wait on the translations
until I'm done though.

I started adding in the tcl commands, and then realized we had a lot
of commands on one page.

So I decided that page needed an index.

I have been wrestling with the necessary XSL/DocBook issues ever
since... it's been pretty hairy, but I think we may have an answer in
sight.  Unfortunately, it will probably mean pretty major
modifications to the commands section:-(

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: documentation translation

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
"SmAsH" <pa...@freenet.de> writes:

> So I just need to translate the rivet.xml?

Correct.

> I am just wondering why the rivet.xml has all the text included what
> is the purpose of having files like directives.html.en then? And do
> I need to translate all those also?

rivet.xml is the sources to the documentation.  It's done with the
DocBook DTD ( http://docbook.org/tdg/en/html/docbook.html ).  Since
all the elements are described for what they are (command, variable,
whatever), it is possible to create 'stylesheets' (not CSS) in XSL
that output a number of different formats, such as the HTML you see in
directives.html.en.  You didn't really think I wrote that mess by hand
did you?:-)

That means that all you have to do is translate rivet.xml to
rivet.de.xml.  You don't really even have to worry about the markup, I
can help out if there are any doubts...  You also want to add yourself
as the translator - see the Italian translation for an example.

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.