Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Billy Vandory <bi...@yahoo.com> on 2010/06/20 15:25:10 UTC

Putting our geronimo app into UAT

We're deploying our application with geronimo into PAT this week. It's been a
haul, but production is just around the corner.  Anyway, for production, I
suspect best practice is to disable the geronimo console?  But my primary
question is, how do I setup my application to be the primary app?

Right now, pat.mysecretsite.com brings up the geronimo console.  Instead of
that I want our real app to show up.  I tried changing the context-root to /
but it didn't work.  I have geronimo 2.2 deployed with Tomcat.  I'm sure
I'll find the documentation, but this post is just a contingency incase I
don't find it on my own, as there is a lot riding on having this operational
by tomorrow morning. I know this is a stupid question, but I'm just trying
to get the thing done, I really do owe an advanced apology for this
question.

On another happier note, working with Geronimo:

I still have 2 other fairly major issues with JPA and Geronimo, but  I'll
repost that later.  I'll have to fix those before we go into prod.  All in
all, I'm fairly happy with G.  It's been a great 6 months working with it,
and most of the problems (actually, I think ALL the problems) I had with it
were configuration issues.  So, good job, Geronimo guys !

By the end of PAT, the expectation is to have 4 geronimo 2.2 servers
clustered on a single machine across 4 VM's... This week we're starting out
with one VM.  Our target is 18K concurrent sessions on a single system
(excluding DB) pushing 1 random request / 5 seconds / user. Can't wait to
see the drop off curve !!  If this works out in PROD, Geronimo will become
our corporate standard app server across all infrastructure (which means
lots of new projects porting apps from WSAS to Geronimo, which means job
security for at least another year :)

Thanks,

Billy

Re: Putting our geronimo app into UAT

Posted by Kapil Nayar <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Billy,

Do you plan to use WADI for the Geronimo clustering and some LB to
distribute the requests across?

Thanks,
Kapil

Re: Putting our geronimo app into UAT

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 20, 2010, at 9:25 AM, Billy Vandory wrote:

> We're deploying our application with geronimo into PAT this week. It's been a
> haul, but production is just around the corner.  Anyway, for production, I
> suspect best practice is to disable the geronimo console?  But my primary
> question is, how do I setup my application to be the primary app?
>
> Right now, pat.mysecretsite.com brings up the geronimo console.  Instead of
> that I want our real app to show up.  I tried changing the context-root to /
> but it didn't work.  I have geronimo 2.2 deployed with Tomcat.  I'm sure
> I'll find the documentation, but this post is just a contingency incase I
> don't find it on my own, as there is a lot riding on having this operational
> by tomorrow morning. I know this is a stupid question, but I'm just trying
> to get the thing done, I really do owe an advanced apology for this
> question.

I know people running with and without the admin console. Simplest to undeploy using deploy commands:

./deploy.sh undeploy org.apache.geronimo.configs/welcome-tomcat/2.2/car
and
./deploy.sh undeploy org.apache.geronimo.plugins/console-tomcat/2.2/car

> On another happier note, working with Geronimo:
>
> I still have 2 other fairly major issues with JPA and Geronimo, but  I'll
> repost that later.  I'll have to fix those before we go into prod.  All in
> all, I'm fairly happy with G.  It's been a great 6 months working with it,
> and most of the problems (actually, I think ALL the problems) I had with it
> were configuration issues.  So, good job, Geronimo guys !

Thanks! Let us know about your JPA issues?

> By the end of PAT, the expectation is to have 4 geronimo 2.2 servers
> clustered on a single machine across 4 VM's... This week we're starting out
> with one VM.  Our target is 18K concurrent sessions on a single system
> (excluding DB) pushing 1 random request / 5 seconds / user. Can't wait to
> see the drop off curve !!  If this works out in PROD, Geronimo will become
> our corporate standard app server across all infrastructure (which means
> lots of new projects porting apps from WSAS to Geronimo, which means job
> security for at least another year :)

Cool. Thanks for the info.

--kevan

Re: Putting our geronimo app into UAT

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Jun 20, 2010, at 6:25 AM, Billy Vandory wrote:

> We're deploying our application with geronimo into PAT this week. It's been a
> haul, but production is just around the corner.  Anyway, for production, I
> suspect best practice is to disable the geronimo console?  But my primary
> question is, how do I setup my application to be the primary app?
>
> Right now, pat.mysecretsite.com brings up the geronimo console.
Really? I'd expect it to bring up the welcome app.

>  Instead of
> that I want our real app to show up.  I tried changing the context-root to /
> but it didn't work.  I have geronimo 2.2 deployed with Tomcat.

Normally the welcome app is at /, and that may block access to anything else with context root /.

I would have solved this by assembling a custom server including my app, and not including the welcome app or the admin console, but it's rather late in the day for this approach for you.  However, you should be able to use the admin console to unload or uninstall the welcome app and admin console.  do the welcome app first :-).... after the admin console is unloaded you wont be able to use it.

hope this helps
david jencks