Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk> on 2010/07/01 21:07:35 UTC

Re: Is there a way to block "invalid" non delivery notifications?

On 30.06.10 04:14, Daniel Lemke wrote:
> We are already using ok_locales, but it does not score all of the mail and
> if it scores, the few points at all are not enough to identify it as spam
> (since bayes still scores negative). I already trained bayes with hundreds
> of mails, but it still doesn't recognize this ndr as spam.

apparently not enough of NDRs. I trained bayes with many notices and it was
able to detect as expected then.

BAYES_99 and CHARSET_FARAWAY together should score enough to score as spam.
*BOUNCE_MESSAGE score only 0.1 and rising them is not safe.

> > For others, there's VBounce plugin that detects delivery notices (and
> > similar messages like autoresponders) and tag them for other processing.
> >
> > You need to configure whitelist_bounce_relays for this plugin to work.

> That sounds quite nice, but the documentation says the plugin looks for the
> specified mta relay in the Received: header of the mail. If found, it is not
> marked as an invalid bounce.

No, it searches for it in the body of the mail, and the body of delivery
notice should contain IP of your MTA, if the original message went through
your MTA (although there are programs that don't include them). Otherwise
it's apparendly bounce on forged mail which the VBounce is designed to
catch.

"To Boot or not to Boot, that's the question." [WD1270 Caviar]

Re: Is there a way to block "invalid" non delivery notifications?

Posted by Daniel Lemke <le...@jam-software.com>.

jdow wrote:

>> By the way, is it possible to rescore or disable one rule, if another
>> already hit (thought on something like disabling bayes when
>> BOUNCE_MESSAGE
>> already hit)? This way I could disable Bayes when BOUNCE_MESSAGE already
>> hit. Yeah I know that's kind of bogus config but it'd be very suitable
>> for
>> our purpose.
>
> META rules are good for this sort of application.
>
> {^_^}

I know about two meta rules that would cause a proper rescore but both of
them are kind of dirty workarounds:
- Check if BOUNCE_MESSAGE and Bayes hit. If so, give it a appropriate
negative score (this wouldn't be really dynamic).
- Packing the whole Bayes scoring into a meta so it only is triggered when
BOUNCE_MESSAGE isn't hit.

I'd prefer something like the "ifplugin" key word in configuration, in
pseudo code:
ifrulehit BOUNCE_MESSAGE
skip BAYES_XX

Daniel