Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Mike03 <ml...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/25 01:50:39 UTC

hot deploy new/updated components?

Hi, I'm at a new job that has a very ugly JSP presentation layer and I'm
really missing Wicket.  I think I can make a solid case for moving to Wicket
except for the issue of hot deploy.  On the development side, a server
restart takes about 2 minutes so they need the hot deploy of JSP code for
rapid development.  On the production side they want to maximize uptime.

Is there any way to address this concern with Wicket?

Thanks!
Mike

Re: hot deploy new/updated components?

Posted by ivom2gi <iv...@ut.ee>.

Have you tried JSP Weaver which eliminates compilation and interpretes JSP
pages? Check out http://www.zeroturnaround.com/jspweaver

Posted by ivom2gi <iv...@ut.ee>.

Posted by Bruno Borges <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
> Yes I think this comparison is a little off. If the concern is fixing
> rendering quirks, typos in the copy, etc, you can leave Wicket's
> template reloader on in production if you want to, right?

Actually, you don't even have to do that. Just enable JMX and you'll
be able to clear the markup cache with the push of a button (something
I actually did on a production site yesterday... don't tell anyone :-)
).

Eelco

Re: hot deploy new/updated components?

Posted by Nathan Hamblen <na...@technically.us>.
Johan Compagner wrote:
> i wouldn't use those 2 in production..

Yeah JavaRebel is supposed to have too much of a performance penalty to
use in production. And for development, I think that Wicket is at least
as friendly to live coding and updating as anything else in Java. The
only caveat is that since Wicket is actually OO you end up adding and
removing methods more often, but JavaRebel takes care of that.

> What i find strange is that it seems that they have all the code just in jsp
> files?
> Because you really change only jsp files to be up and running again?
> Where is all the business logic? Database layer? Is all the flow control
> also done in jsp?

Yes I think this comparison is a little off. If the concern is fixing
rendering quirks, typos in the copy, etc, you can leave Wicket's
template reloader on in production if you want to, right?

To be able to make big changes without downtime, what people really need
is a cluster (even if it's just on one box), with or without Wicket.

Nathan

Re: hot deploy new/updated components?

Posted by ekabanov <ek...@gmail.com>.
Couldn't you just cluster two server instances on the same machine and update
the application in each of them taking down one at a time? I think we used
to do something similar with BEA Weblogic, but perhaps you could with Tomcat
as well?

This would probably solve the uptime issue even if their is only one
physical machine.

E. Kabanov

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.