Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Uwe Schindler <us...@apache.org> on 2010/11/20 13:19:27 UTC

Disk I/O on FreeBSD zone lucene.zones.apache.org is very slow

Hi,

Since this morning suddenly our Hudson slave for Lucene
(lucene.zones.apache.org) is very slow on disk i/o. Simple processes like
"find . -name xxx" take minutes. "iostat" shows moderate activity.
Interestingly when opening "top" on a second console you see all "hanging"
processes in a strange state: "zio-????", where ??? is incomplete as clipped
by top. I have never seen this before, seems FreeBSD specific. According to
Google that seems to have something to do with ZFS.

Whats wrong? The problem is that the Lucene Hudson builds (which use high
disk IO) don't like this and even sometimes the JVMs segfault!

Thanks for looking into this,
Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler