Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2015/04/24 15:16:29 UTC

Work on Jena3

Hi all,

Development has started on Jena3.

The main changes currently planned are:

* Package renaming
     com.hp.hpl.jena => org.apache.jena
* RDF 1.1 Semantics for plain literals
     Persistent data will need to be reloaded to be safe
* Java8 required

as well as cleaning up.

There is no fixed timescale for a release.

Soon, the development "master" will become this codebase.

There is a "jena2" branch in git.

There are draft migration notes:

   http://jena.staging.apache.org/documentation/migrate_jena2_jena3.html

If you are interested in this work, please do drop into dev@jena.apache.org.

	Andy

Fwd: Work on Jena3

Posted by Sorin Gheorghiu <so...@uni-konstanz.de>.
fyi

Betreff: 	Work on Jena3
Datum: 	Fri, 24 Apr 2015 14:16:29 +0100
Von: 	Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>
Antwort an: 	users@jena.apache.org
An: 	users@jena.apache.org <us...@jena.apache.org>

Re: Work on Jena3

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 24/04/15 14:16, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Development has started on Jena3.
>
> The main changes currently planned are:
>
> * Package renaming
>      com.hp.hpl.jena => org.apache.jena
> * RDF 1.1 Semantics for plain literals
>      Persistent data will need to be reloaded to be safe
> * Java8 required
>
> as well as cleaning up.
>
> There is no fixed timescale for a release.
>
> Soon, the development "master" will become this codebase.

"master" is now switched over to Jena3 development.

There are snapshot builds.
http://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/jena/

Conversion of applications is mostly
    s/com.hp.hpl.jena/org.apache.jena/g
  in code.

For assembler files, note class naming in ja:loadClass (e.g.
"com.hp.hpl.jena.tdb.TDB").  We are discussing putting some migration
support in for the latter.

URLs starting http://jena.hpl.hp.com/ are not changing.

	Andy

Re: Work on Jena3

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 24/04/15 14:36, Fajar Juang Ekaputra wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> Is there no plan for OWL2 adoption yet in the near future?
>
> Best regards,
> --
> Fajar J. Ekaputra

Hi Fajar,

What gets done is what the community wants to do and resources.  There
is no "must do" for Jena3, nor any "won't do".  What gets done is what
people contribute.

It was said elsewhere that interacting with an open source project comes
down to one of 3 modes:

    contribute / sponsor / hope

It would be great if some people collaborated to add OWL2 support,
either as an extension to the existing ontology API, a new one or rule
sets for various profiles of inference.

That development can happen separately as some kind of additional
developed separately and get contributed when done, or contributing work
to do into the main code base incrementally.

Anyone - drop over to dev@ and join in.

As a project, Jena has generally tended to emphasis long term stability
of users' investments.  Jena3 is an opportunity to change more than
usual. There are many ways to add new features along side old ones so
that migration is smooth.

	Andy

Re: Work on Jena3

Posted by Fajar Juang Ekaputra <fa...@gmail.com>.