Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Brian Schoenhofer <br...@schoenhofer.ca> on 2004/05/03 22:48:12 UTC

Mandrake msec disables Embperl

Does anyone use Mandrake and Embperl?  I'm using Embperl 2.0b9, Apache
2.0.47 and mod_perl 1.99_09.

Mandrake has a tool called msec that takes a security level from 1 to 5
(5 being the most secure) and changes file permissions and running
services etc. to make the system more or less secure.  When I am set at
level 3 Embperl works fine.  When set to level 4 I have a problem.  I've
got base.epl including header.html, content (Execute('*')) and
footer.html.  All works correctly except a one liner in footer.html that
shows the system uptime like so:

[- @uptime = split /,/, `uptime`; -]

and then

[+ $uptime[0] +] [+ $uptime[1] +]

in the body.  It seems the `uptime` call doesn't work.  I looked in
various logs but couldn't find any clues.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I've pasted a couple of
tables from Mandrakes website describing the type of security changes
for the different levels.  You may get some idea of what changes just by
the names below.  Again, my problem shows up when switching from level 3
to 4.

Thanks.
		      Level 0       1       2         3         4    5
root umask
       002
       002
       022
       022
       022
       077
User umask
       002
       002
       022
       022
       077
       077
Shell
timeout
         0
         0
         0
         0
      3600
       900
Deny
Services
      none
      none
      none
      none
     local
       all
su Only
For wheel
Group
        no
        no
        no
        no
        no
       yes
Shell
History
Size
   default
   default
   default
   default
        10
        10
Direct
root Login
       yes
       yes
       yes
       yes
        no
        no
sulogin
For Single
User
        no
        no
        no
        no
       yes
       yes
User List
in [kg]dm
       yes
       yes
       yes
       yes
        no
        no
Ignore
ICMP Echo
        no
        no
        no
        no
       yes
       yes
Ignore
Bogus
Error
        no
        no
        no
        no
       yes
       yes
Allow
Reboot by
User
       yes
       yes
       yes
       yes
        no
        no
Allow
crontab/at
       yes
       yes
       yes
       yes
        no
        no
Password
Aging
        no
        no
        no
        no
   60 days
   30 days
Password
Required
        no
       yes
       yes
       yes
       yes
       yes
Allow
Autologin
       yes
       yes
       yes
        no
        no
        no
Console
Log
        no
        no
        no
       yes
       yes
       yes
Warnings
in syslog
        no
        no
       yes
       yes
       yes
       yes
Warnings
in
security.log
        no
       yes
       yes
       yes
       yes
       yes
Issues
       yes
       yes
       yes
     local
     local
        no
IP
Spoofing
Protection
        no
        no
        no
       yes
       yes
       yes
Log
Strange IP
Packets
        no
        no
        no
       yes
       yes
       yes
Periodic
Security
Check
        no
       yes
       yes
       yes
       yes
       yes
Allow X
TCP
Connections
       yes
     local
     local
     local
        no
        no
Connect to
X Display
       all
 localhost
 localhost
 localhost
 localhost
        no
"." in
$PATH
       yes
       yes
        no
        no
        no
        no
Run msec
tests via
cron
        no
        no
        no
      some
       yes
       yes

The following table shows the periodic checks that msec performs for the
various security levels:

   Level 0
   Level 1
   Level 2
   Level 3
   Level 4
   Level 5
CHECK_SECURITY
        no
       yes
       yes
       yes
       yes
       yes
CHECK_PERMS
        no
        no
        no
       yes
       yes
       yes
CHECK_SUID_ROOT
        no
        no
       yes
       yes
       yes
       yes
CHECK_SUID_MD5
        no
        no
       yes
       yes
       yes
       yes
CHECK_SUID_GROUP
        no
        no
        no
       yes
       yes
       yes
CHECK_WRITEABLE
        no
        no
       yes
       yes
       yes
       yes
CHECK_UNOWNED
        no
        no
        no
       yes
       yes
       yes
CHECK_PROMISC
        no
        no
        no
       yes
       yes
       yes
CHECK_OPEN_PORT
        no
        no
        no
       yes
       yes
       yes
CHECK_PASSWD
        no
        no
        no
       yes
       yes
       yes
CHECK_SHADOW
        no
        no
        no
       yes
       yes
       yes
TTY_WARN
        no
        no
        no
        no
       yes
       yes
MAIL_WARN
        no
        no
        no
       yes
       yes
       yes
SYSLOG_WARN
        no
        no
       yes
       yes
       yes
       yes
RPM_CHECK
        no
        no
        no
       yes
       yes
       yes
CHKROOTKIT_CHECK
        no
        no
        no
       yes
       yes
       yes

--
Brian Schoenhofer
brian@schoenhofer.ca

Re: Mandrake msec disables Embperl

Posted by Carlos Kassab <ck...@eplsite.org>.
Hi:

I am using Embperl With Mandrake 10 and i donot have any problem, you can run
level 5 without starting X, but you need to remove S30dm from rc's
directories.

I hope this helps to you.

Carlos Kassab