Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by Valery Masiutsin <va...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/31 10:44:06 UTC

Nws compatibility layer / RivetUserConf usage

Hello, David !

I am interested in adding limited NWS (mod_neowebscript) compatibility to rivet.
At the moment I am studying rivet internals and apache API,
trying to outline the way a NWS compatibility layer should be implemented.
Here is what I have come up with:
1. I think there should be an option in virtual host configuration file,
something like "RivetUserConf NwsCompatibilty Yes".
I will check for its existence in Rivet_InitTclStuff() and use a modified
version of Rivet_PerInterpInit()  -> Rivet_NwsInterpInit().
This is where I will initialize low level nws core commands.
2. Also a NWS version of Rivet_SendContent() -> Rivet_SendNwsContent()
will be implemented.
3. Also I am going to restructure things a bit, for a example
during its initialization, mod_neoscript tries to initialize plenty of tcl
extensions (neosoft extensions, tclx, pgtcl, gdtcl), i think all this stuff
should be moved to nws specific init.tcl.
I am really puzzled with the question of how to get values of
RivetUserConf variables during the initialization phase. All I see in
rivet is using them during request processing, rivet_user_vars is
empty during initialization. Will appreciate any pointers to
documentation/module sources/etc, which will clear things up.

Regards Valery

Re: Nws compatibility layer / RivetUserConf usage

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@unipr.it>.
Hi Valery,

it seems the Rivet development has been finally resumed.
I'm glad to hear that you have ideas, plans and will to
get involved on this.

I had an email exchange with David about Rivet and
the next step to take in its development. We agree
that providing a working support for apache2 in
non-threaded mode is a priority (also called pre-fork
as I learned last night). I think I can be
involved in doing it also as a way to become familiar
to the Apache API. I presumably can dedicate time on
this starting with the end of the next week, after
i have settled some businesses.

Keep in touch

  -- Massimo

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 11:44:06 +0300, Valery Masiutsin wrote

Universita' degli Studi di Parma (http://www.unipr.it)

Re: Nws compatibility layer / RivetUserConf usage

Posted by Valery Masiutsin <va...@gmail.com>.
Hello, David !

On 8/31/07, David Welton <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I may ask - how much NWS code do you have?  Perhaps Damon and Karl
> can comment, but I think you would be better off moving to Rivet at
> this point - that, or simply reviving the NWS code (which is still on
> sourceforge, I believe).  Making a compatibility layer just doesn't
> buy you that much.  That said, if you want to do it, no one's stopping
> you - although there are no guarantees it will be included.

Well, i'd say a lot. And i cant just redo it in rivet. What i thought about
is to have a fixed compatibility layer which will allow me to process nws
pages as they are. While i am agree that all custom library stuff
should be redone with rivet in mind, i have no ability  to
change/review all heritage code, still there's need to support it . I
would not be bothered if it would be a matter of redoing few dozens of
pages.

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.
> I am interested in adding limited NWS (mod_neowebscript) compatibility to rivet.
> At the moment I am studying rivet internals and apache API,
> trying to outline the way a NWS compatibility layer should be implemented.

If I may ask - how much NWS code do you have?  Perhaps Damon and Karl
can comment, but I think you would be better off moving to Rivet at
this point - that, or simply reviving the NWS code (which is still on
sourceforge, I believe).  Making a compatibility layer just doesn't
buy you that much.  That said, if you want to do it, no one's stopping
you - although there are no guarantees it will be included.

> Here is what I have come up with:
> 1. I think there should be an option in virtual host configuration file,
> something like "RivetUserConf NwsCompatibilty Yes".
> I will check for its existence in Rivet_InitTclStuff() and use a modified
> version of Rivet_PerInterpInit()  -> Rivet_NwsInterpInit().
> This is where I will initialize low level nws core commands.

> 2. Also a NWS version of Rivet_SendContent() -> Rivet_SendNwsContent()
> will be implemented.

> 3. Also I am going to restructure things a bit, for a example
> during its initialization, mod_neoscript tries to initialize plenty of tcl
> extensions (neosoft extensions, tclx, pgtcl, gdtcl), i think all this stuff
> should be moved to nws specific init.tcl.
> I am really puzzled with the question of how to get values of
> RivetUserConf variables during the initialization phase. All I see in
> rivet is using them during request processing, rivet_user_vars is
> empty during initialization. Will appreciate any pointers to
> documentation/module sources/etc, which will clear things up.

You want to look at this function:

static const char *
Rivet_ServerConf( cmd_parms *cmd, void *dummy, char *var, char *val )

Ciao,
--
David N. Welton
http://www.welton.it/davidw/