Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Tomas Radej <tr...@redhat.com> on 2011/09/13 10:41:40 UTC

License file in source packages

Hi,

I would like to ask if you could include a license file in the source
package in Jena and, if possible, other projects that come with Jena
(specifically, IRI). I am intending to package these into Fedora and the
existence of the license file in the source packages (we can't use
pre-compiled) would ease my work a lot.

Alternatively, could you please specify if the license can be understood
as BSD without alterations?

Thank you very much,

Tomas Radej
===========
Associate Software Engineer
Red Hat Inc.
tradej -at- redhat -dot- com

Re: License file in source packages

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@epimorphics.com>.
Hi Tomas,

We can do that (all the files should have copyright notices - something
that has to be done for BSD) - as we move to Apache releases, and
release via Apache servers, is that sufficient for you?  The release
process for incubator projects is [2].   We will then be changing all
the headers of the files to the Apache standard format.

The code in the releases to date (pre-Apache) is BSD (main copyright
holder HP) but we are migrating to the Apache License v2.  HP has made a
software grant to Apache as have all the other major contributors.  We
have a few (less than 10) point contributions under BSD.  Because BSD is
a "Category A: Authorized License"  [1] there are no obstacles to
release with the Apache license from that point of view.

	Andy

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html