Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/14 18:52:43 UTC

Next 2.x release from trunk?

How are the plans for the next trunk 2.x release going ? I see we are
making progress, but it does not seem are closing down on it ? With
ApacheCon approaching quickly, I was wondering if we could do a
release by end of month, and if people are not comfortable doing a
release without all the tide ups going into samples, compliance tests,
etc, maybe we could just call it M6 instead of BETA ?

Thoughts ?

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Re: Next 2.x release from trunk?

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 9:01 PM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 12:49 AM, ant elder <an...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Distributions at: http://people.apache.org/~antelder/tuscany/2.0-beta1-rc1/
>>
>> Unfortunately some changes since the last preview have caused some
>> samples target folders to get included in the binary distribution so
>> its huge and took ages to upload, and theres still some JIRA that need
>> to be sorted out, so there needs to be another respin so i'm not going
>> to call a vote on this one, but please do review it.
>>
>>   ...ant
>>

> Should we also mark the JIRAs that we really know it needs to be fixed
> for this release as blocking ? This might make things clear to what we
> are waiting, and where we need help.
>

> --
> Luciano Resende
> http://people.apache.org/~lresende
> http://twitter.com/lresende1975
> http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Yep, good point Luciano, I'll give them a quick review.

Simon

Re: Next 2.x release from trunk?

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 8:49 AM, ant elder <an...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 9:49 AM, ant elder <an...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> Thanks for sorting this out ant

>>> Sounds good to me.
>>>

>> I've taken a branch for the release now:
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tuscany/sca-java-2.x/branches/2.0-Beta1/
>>
>> I'm doing builds and spinning an RC from that now to see how it looks.
>> There are starting to get quite a lot of JIRAs open against it that we
>> need to decide what to do with, a lot of them look like things we need
>> to fix for the release to me, see:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=12310210&fixfor=12315204
>>
>>   ...ant
>>

> Distributions at: http://people.apache.org/~antelder/tuscany/2.0-beta1-rc1/
>
> Unfortunately some changes since the last preview have caused some
> samples target folders to get included in the binary distribution so
> its huge and took ages to upload, and theres still some JIRA that need
> to be sorted out, so there needs to be another respin so i'm not going
> to call a vote on this one, but please do review it.
>
>   ...ant

Thanks Ant. Am looking through it now. I agree that there are a few
more things we need to fix before voting but it's useful to have this
for people to look at.

Simon

Re: Next 2.x release from trunk?

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 8:36 PM, ant elder <an...@apache.org> wrote:
> To see where we're at I've built a release based on the current trunk,
> the source and binary distributions are at:
> http://people.apache.org/~antelder/tuscany/next/
>
> There are some RAT issues with the source distribution for which i've
> raised a TUSCANY-https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-3731,
> and there's obviously still work required on the samples. Once the RAT
> issue are fixed though i think this is in a state that could be
> released and it just how much tidy up we want to do.
>
> The release build works and is easy now, that was done with just mvn
> -Prelease -DaltDeploymentRepository=id::default::file:target/deploy
> -Dgpg.skip, omitting the DaltDeploymentRepository it would have all
> gone to nexus or a different DaltDeploymentRepository value could send
> it to a people.apache.org space like we used to do, so there's now
> theres no fuffing about with signing and uploading individual bits and
> pieces.

Thanks for sorting this out ant

> How about based on this we spend the rest of the week reviewing and
> cleaning things up and then cut a real RC1 first thing next week.

Sounds good to me.

>   ...ant

Simon

Re: Next 2.x release from trunk?

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Sure, but now that should be just a single command "mvn -Prelease",
>> there'll be several of those as we do reviews and RCs and no reason
>> the same one single person must do each (and it past releases its
>> often a diff person spinning each RC) and if its on Nexus its not even
>> using a named individual people.apache.org account.
>>
>>   ...ant
>>

> I didn't say it would necessarily be hard (although we still need to
> work through the detail) I just said someone needed to do it each
> time. The point being that we need to be careful that we don't sit
> around thinking someone else is doing it when they're not. This is
> regardless of how many commands it takes to action.
>
> Simon
>
> --
> Apache Tuscany committer: tuscany.apache.org
> Co-author of a book about Tuscany and SCA: tuscanyinaction.com

It would be good for us all to get back on IRC for those quick chats
we generally need to have about release build breaks.

Simon

Re: Next 2.x release from trunk?

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.