Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/14 21:03:54 UTC

SGA or ICLA?

I’m about to go through the IP clearance process for some code donations and will need to track down some individuals and ask them to sign and Agreement (SGA or ICLA).

It seems clear to me that the primary author should submit a SGA, but it’s not clear which to use for other individuals who made contributions.

For individuals who contributed in the past, but are not likely to contribute in the future, it seems and SGA is more appropriate. For individuals who are likely to contribute in the future an ICLA seems more appropriate.

For the specific case I have in mind, original author and contributors are all individuals, there is no Company involved.

Is my reasoning sound here?

-Taylor

Re: SGA or ICLA?

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the clarification Craig.

I like the idea of ICLA over SGA for individuals since it sets people up to contribute to more than one project. With an ICLA on file, it makes it that much easier to add someone as a committer/PMC Member to any project.

-Taylor

Re: SGA or ICLA?

Posted by Craig Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Hi Taylor,