Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by Parth Chandra <pa...@apache.org> on 2017/10/12 22:41:30 UTC

New plugin needed for building on Eclipse

I just merged in changes for DRILL-5431 and it looks like the inclusion of
netty-tcnative is causing all sorts of problems.  netty-tcnative is OS
specific so we included a maven extension to detect the OS. (The
distribution package has no issues since it packages all the supported OS
variants). The extension to detect the OS however does not work correctly
on Eclipse without a little bit of help.

From the plugin's readme:

Issues with Eclipse m2e or other IDEs

If you are using IntelliJ IDEA, you should not have any problem.

If you are using Eclipse, you need to install an additional Eclipse plugin
because m2e <https://www.eclipse.org/m2e/> does not evaluate the extension
specified in a pom.xml. Download os-maven-plugin-1.5.0.Final.jar
<http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/kr/motd/maven/os-maven-plugin/1.5.0.Final/os-maven-plugin-1.5.0.Final.jar>
and
put it into the <ECLIPSE_HOME>/pluginsdirectory.

(As you might have noticed, os-maven-plugin is a Maven extension, a Maven
plugin, and an Eclipse plugin.)

If you are using other IDEs such as NetBeans, you need to set the system
properties os-maven-plugin sets manually when your IDE is launched. You
usually use JVM's -D flags like the following:

-Dos.detected.name=linux -Dos.detected.arch=x86_64
-Dos.detected.classifier=linux-x86_64

Apologies to everyone who struggled with this and thanks Aman for bringing
this to my attention.

Parth

Re: New plugin needed for building on Eclipse

Posted by Parth Chandra <pa...@apache.org>.
Looks like the plugin may have issues and some folks have reported that the
inclusion of the plugin can mess up you workspace.

So hold off on installing the plugin while I look for a solution.