Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@apache.org> on 2012/03/04 18:01:07 UTC

Google Summer of Code 2012 upcoming

Hello PMCs,

Google Summer of Code is the ideal opportunity for you to attract new
contributors to your projects.

If you want to participate with your project you NOW need to

- understand what it means to be a mentor [1]
- propose your project ideas. Just label your issues with gsoc2012 in JIRA and
  they will show up at [2]. See also [1].
- subscribe to code-awards@apache.org (restricted to potential mentors, meant to be used
  as a private list - general discussions on the public
  dev@community.apache.org list as much as possible please)

The ASF will apply as a participating organization with GSoC, your project
doesn't need to do that. See [3] for more information. Note that the ASF isn't
accepted yet, nevertheless you *really* should start recording your ideas now.

Last year we had 38 students completing GSoC successfully, some of which are
now active contributors to the projects they worked on. Let's make this a
success again this year!

On behalf of the GSoC 2012 admins,

Uli

[1] http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html
[2] http://s.apache.org/gsoc2012tasks
[3] http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html

RE: Fwd: Google Summer of Code 2012 upcoming

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.
My understanding of the Apache process for working with GSoC is that each community will need to define a set of JIRA issues labeled with gsoc for inclusion in the list of mentored projects [1].

http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html

-Matt

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Lindner <li...@inuus.com>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan J Baxter <rj...@us.ibm.com>.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Guys, FYI...in case anyone is thinking of GSoC, deadlines are approaching. Process
is described below...

Thanks!

Cheers,
Chris

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Ulrich Stärk <ul...@apache.org>
> Date: March 4, 2012 9:01:07 AM PST
> To: "pmcs@apache.org" <pm...@apache.org>
> Cc: "dev@community.apache.org" <de...@community.apache.org>
> Subject: Google Summer of Code 2012 upcoming
>
> Hello PMCs,
>
> Google Summer of Code is the ideal opportunity for you to attract new
> contributors to your projects.
>
> If you want to participate with your project you NOW need to
>
> - understand what it means to be a mentor [1]
> - propose your project ideas. Just label your issues with gsoc2012 in JIRA and
>  they will show up at [2]. See also [1].
> - subscribe to code-awards@apache.org (restricted to potential mentors, meant to be used
>  as a private list - general discussions on the public
>  dev@community.apache.org list as much as possible please)
>
> The ASF will apply as a participating organization with GSoC, your project
> doesn't need to do that. See [3] for more information. Note that the ASF isn't
> accepted yet, nevertheless you *really* should start recording your ideas now.
>
> Last year we had 38 students completing GSoC successfully, some of which are
> now active contributors to the projects they worked on. Let's make this a
> success again this year!
>
> On behalf of the GSoC 2012 admins,
>
> Uli
>
> [1] http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html
> [2] http://s.apache.org/gsoc2012tasks
> [3] http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Fwd: Google Summer of Code 2012 upcoming

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Guys FYI

Begin forwarded message:

Posted by Katherine Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
GSoC cometh!

I hope committers  will consider mentoring again  this year.  Because of
summer vacations and such it worked well last year I think for Tiago and
I to team up. He was primary mentor and I was his backup.    We will
probably do the same this year.  I highly recommend teaming up if you
are time constrained or have vacations planned.

Kathey

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Ulrich Stärk <ul...@apache.org>
> Date: March 4, 2012 9:01:07 AM PST
> To: "pmcs@apache.org" <pm...@apache.org>
> Cc: "dev@community.apache.org" <de...@community.apache.org>
> Subject: Google Summer of Code 2012 upcoming
>
> Hello PMCs,
>
> Google Summer of Code is the ideal opportunity for you to attract new
> contributors to your projects.
>
> If you want to participate with your project you NOW need to
>
> - understand what it means to be a mentor [1]
> - propose your project ideas. Just label your issues with gsoc2012 in JIRA and
>  they will show up at [2]. See also [1].
> - subscribe to code-awards@apache.org (restricted to potential mentors, meant to be used
>  as a private list - general discussions on the public
>  dev@community.apache.org list as much as possible please)
>
> The ASF will apply as a participating organization with GSoC, your project
> doesn't need to do that. See [3] for more information. Note that the ASF isn't
> accepted yet, nevertheless you *really* should start recording your ideas now.
>
> Last year we had 38 students completing GSoC successfully, some of which are
> now active contributors to the projects they worked on. Let's make this a
> success again this year!
>
> On behalf of the GSoC 2012 admins,
>
> Uli
>
> [1] http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html
> [2] http://s.apache.org/gsoc2012tasks
> [3] http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
Phone: +1 (818) 354-8810

Fwd: Google Summer of Code 2012 upcoming

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.

Re: Google Summer of Code 2012 upcoming

Posted by Nóirín Plunkett <no...@apache.org>.
You're already in as Co-admin, as far as I can see.

Noirin

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.
Great, thanks!

Posted by Nóirín Plunkett <no...@apache.org>.
Thanks Uli!

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.

Posted by Michael Uvarov <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
There are no issues marked. Could you tag them with gsoc2012?
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=labels+%3D+gsoc2012+and+project+%3D+couchdb

--
Best regards,
Uvarov Michael

Re: Google Summer of Code 2012 upcoming

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.
On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 22:00, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> Are there any outstanding JIRA tickets that people feel are suitable
> projects for Google SoC?

Extending/rewriting/polishing up Futon might make a nice project.

Cheers,

Dirkjan

Re: Google Summer of Code 2012 upcoming

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
See below.

Are there any outstanding JIRA tickets that people feel are suitable
projects for Google SoC?

(Thanks for Jan for bringing this to my attention.)