Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by adam moore <Ad...@nottingham.ac.uk> on 2000/06/21 13:38:44 UTC

Coccon competitors (was Re: How to improve performance? C++? compile XSL?)

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Ulrich Mayring wrote:

> Torsten Curdt wrote:
> >
> > We're starting a cocoon diven site and what Jack says is exactly
> > what I feared... guess our site will run into the same "problems"!
>
> Well, why aren't you using a competing product then? Ah, I see... there
> are none ;-)

Ulrich,
Now, we both know that's not true - I know of at least:

AxKit from Matt Sergeant which is mod_perl rather than java, does XSP and
is developing along nicely in an OSS kinda way. Matt is currently working
very hard on optimisations and it's actually quite fast.
http://www.axkit.org/

And WebSphere from IBM - although the guy at XML Europe looked sorta
jittery when I started talking to him about Cocoon - especially the
cocoon2 site map
[I'm sorry I don't have a URL - anyone know?]

Dr Adam Moore
adam.moore@nottingham.ac.uk
minbar@stayfree.co.uk
mobile: raist-bt@sms.genie.co.uk

[TOOL] For those tired of struggling with XSL...

Posted by Luc Saint-Elie <lu...@interpasnet.com>.
OK,

OK its a little bit misleading title because it concerns pretty much only
people involved in design
or beginners (I'm one of those) tired to struggle with XSL :

HTML to XML/XSL
===============
A very good tip I've been given :
http://www.percussion.com

These guys have a free tool called XSPlit that takes a tagged HTML page and
output the corresponding XML and XSL files.

I can't say if this produces the best, cleanest and most elegant XSL
around.. but it works or at least it give a very good stating point.

RTF to XML
==========
A older tool also free (in the light version)
http://www.tetrasix.com/

Both are in Java by the way....

| Luc Saint-Elie                                 |
| email : luc@interpasnet.com                    |
|  Java Server Side  Open Source technologies    |
|       http://www.interpasnet.com/JSS           |

[INSTALL SOLUTION] Re: 1.75 dev XSP problem w Tomcat 3.2

Posted by Luc Saint-Elie <lu...@interpasnet.com>.
Thanks Giacomo,

That was the solution, I put all cocoon jars in TOMCAT_HOME/lib and now XSP
works

Luc

Bonjour (Hello) Giacomo Pati, vous avez écrit le (you wrote on) 21:02
24/06/00 +0200 :

Posted by Giacomo Pati <Gi...@pwr.ch>.
On Sat, Jun 24, 2000 at 07:14:29PM +0200, Luc Saint-Elie wrote:

> >What else is in your CLASSPATH?  How about cocoon.jar, fop*.jar, etc.?
> >Everything should be in your classpath because of XSP.  Another problem
> >that plagues WIN98 users is there broken dos panel.  I use NT at work,
> >and '98 and Linux at home.  The only OS that gave me fits was '98
> >because
>
> Everything is OK on the CLASSPATH side (and everything, cocoon included
> works OK.. except XSP)
> and Tomcat 3.2 add automatically the jar files that are in a
> webapps/mywebapp/web-inf/lib directory

To use XSP every class referenced must be in the classpath of tomcat.
You can't use the web-inf/lib directory due to a problem of classloaders during compile and execution of the XSP page.

Giacomo

Cocoon 1.7.4 + Tomcat3.1 + Sun SDK SE 1.2.2 +SuSE 6.4 install almost ok, pls help

Posted by HuiSion Teh <hu...@magix.com.sg>.
hi
I have the above installed. I can run Tomcat JSP and Servlets. I can run
http://localhost:8080/Cocoon.xml.
When I copied the Cocoon Hello example to
TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/examples/hello/ and try to run the hello-page.xml file,
the browser prompt for a dialog for Save As Type text/xml.

I have TOMCAT_HOME/conf/web.xml edited to have

      ::
	<param-value>
            cocoon.properties
      </param-value>
      ::

And I copied the file cocoon.properties to
TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/examples/hello/ as well as TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/ROOT/.

Anyone can help what went wrong?
Must cocoon.properties be in every Cocoon directory?

Thanks alot. Regards

Re: 1.75 dev XSP problem w Tomcat 3.2

Posted by Luc Saint-Elie <lu...@interpasnet.com>.
>What else is in your CLASSPATH?  How about cocoon.jar, fop*.jar, etc.?
>Everything should be in your classpath because of XSP.  Another problem
>that plagues WIN98 users is there broken dos panel.  I use NT at work,
>and '98 and Linux at home.  The only OS that gave me fits was '98
>because

Everything is OK on the CLASSPATH side (and everything, cocoon included
works OK.. except XSP)
and Tomcat 3.2 add automatically the jar files that are in a
webapps/mywebapp/web-inf/lib directory

I use on a not regular basis Cocoon for long (even with Win98)and its the
first time I have problems with XSP

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@infoplanning.com>.
Luc Saint-Elie wrote:

> Bonjour (Hello) Luc Saint-Elie, vous avez écrit le (you wrote on) 15:20
> 24/06/00 +0200 :
> >Ben,
> >
> >OK but how to "put them before any xml parsing jar" ??
> >
> >I tweaked tomcat.bat, to place an explicit link to xerces and xalan, the
> >windows console show that these two classes are in first and second place
> >in the CLASSPATH line, but... no better result...
>
> .. continued
>
> To be more precise
> The windows console shows that xalan and xerces are before parser.jar and
> jaxp.jar in the CLASSPATH
> and now I get a new error :
>
> java.lang.Exception: XSP Java Compiler: Compilation failed for _page.java
> 12: Package org.apache.cocoon.parser not found in import.
> import org.apache.cocoon.parser.*;
>                   ^
... etc. ...

What else is in your CLASSPATH?  How about cocoon.jar, fop*.jar, etc.?
Everything should be in your classpath because of XSP.  Another problem
that plagues WIN98 users is there broken dos panel.  I use NT at work,
and '98 and Linux at home.  The only OS that gave me fits was '98
because
you have to make the environment space the largest allowed.  You adjust
that setting by right clicking on the title bar and selecting
properties.
Click on the Memory tab, and change the drop down for environment space
from auto to the maximum setting (4096, I believe).  This is because
the 98 dos box will shorten the CLASSPATH and other environment
variables
for you otherwise.  So you could potentially have everything set up
correctly, and it won't run because of '98.

Request a CDROM  1-800-333-3633

Re: 1.75 dev XSP problem w Tomcat 3.2

Posted by Luc Saint-Elie <lu...@interpasnet.com>.
Bonjour (Hello) Luc Saint-Elie, vous avez écrit le (you wrote on) 15:20
24/06/00 +0200 :
>Ben,
>
>OK but how to "put them before any xml parsing jar" ??
>
>I tweaked tomcat.bat, to place an explicit link to xerces and xalan, the
>windows console show that these two classes are in first and second place
>in the CLASSPATH line, but... no better result...

.. continued

To be more precise

After having made in tomcat.bat the following changes :

//*****************

[...]
rem ----- Save Environment Variables That May Change ------------------------

set _CP=%CP%
set _TOMCAT_HOME=%TOMCAT_HOME%

Set myCLASSPATH=%TOMCAT_HOME%\webapps\cocoon\Web-inf\lib\xalan_1_0_1.jar
Set
myCLASSPATH=%myCLASSPATH%;%TOMCAT_HOME%\webapps\cocoon\Web-inf\lib\xerces_1_0_3.jar
[...]
set CP=%myCLASSPATH%;%CP%
echo Using CLASSPATH: %CP%
[...]
//************************

The windows console shows that xalan and xerces are before parser.jar and
jaxp.jar in the CLASSPATH
and now I get a new error :

java.lang.Exception: XSP Java Compiler: Compilation failed for _page.java
12: Package org.apache.cocoon.parser not found in import.
import org.apache.cocoon.parser.*;
                  ^

13: Package org.apache.cocoon.producer not found in import.
import org.apache.cocoon.producer.*;
                  ^

14: Package org.apache.cocoon.framework not found in import.
import org.apache.cocoon.framework.*;
                  ^

16: Package org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp not found in import.
import org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.*;
                  ^

17: Package org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.library not found in import.
import org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.library.*;
                  ^

22: Superclass _H_._tomcat._webapps._cocoon._samples._xsp.XSPPage of class
_H_._tomcat._webapps._cocoon._samples._xsp._page not found.

           public class _page extends XSPPage {

       6 errors

at
org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.language.java.XSPJavaProcessor.compile(XSPJavaProcessor.java:159)
at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPProcessor.process(XSPProcessor.java:451)
at org.apache.cocoon.Engine.handle(Engine.java:305)
at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doService(ServletWrapper.java:363)
at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:351)
at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:651)
at
org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(HttpConnectionHandler.java:193)
at org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:384)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:484)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Posted by Luc Saint-Elie <lu...@interpasnet.com>.
Ben,

OK but how to "put them before any xml parsing jar" ??

I tweaked tomcat.bat, to place an explicit link to xerces and xalan, the
windows console show that these two classes are in first and second place
in the CLASSPATH line, but... no better result...

Bonjour (Hello) Berin Loritsch, vous avez écrit le (you wrote on) 07:59
24/06/00 -0400 :

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@infoplanning.com>.

Posted by Luc Saint-Elie <lu...@interpasnet.com>.
Hello,

This is apparently not the reason (Tomcat dev 3.2 doesn't use xml.jar but
jaxp.jar and parser.jar)

I still can't get XSP working any more with this config :
Win 98
Tomcat 3.2 dev
Cocoon 1.75 dev
JDK 1.3

Posted by Yann <yl...@ims.ltd.uk>.

Posted by Luc Saint-Elie <lu...@interpasnet.com>.
Hello,
I'm back to Cocoon after some time away.. and I tried today :
- Cocoon dev 1.75
- Tomcat dev 3.2
- Windows 98 and Windows NT 4

Every thing runs out of the box like a charm (the compile stuff is a real
gem compared to other Open Source Java project..) but when I try the XSP
examples, I get :

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError
                at
org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.language.java.XSPJavaPreprocessor.process(XSPJavaPreprocessor.java:116)
                at
org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.language.java.XSPJavaPreprocessor.process(XSPJavaPreprocessor.java:123)
                at
org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.language.java.XSPJavaPreprocessor.preprocess(XSPJavaPreprocessor.java:81)
                at
org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPLogicsheet.apply(XSPLogicsheet.java:99)
                at
org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPProcessor.process(XSPProcessor.java:385)
                at org.apache.cocoon.Engine.handle(Engine.java:305)
                at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doService(ServletWrapper.java:363)
                at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:351)
                at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:651)
                at
org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(HttpConnectionHandler.java:193)
                at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:384)
                at
org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:484)
                at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Where did I screw up ?

TIA

Luc

Re: Coccon competitors (was Re: How to improve performance? C++? compileXSL?)

Posted by michael bolger <mp...@earthlink.net>.
IMHO, cocoon and zope interoperability is a win win situation.
-for my needs with drawingincode.com

currently trying to get support from UUnet/mciWorldcom to fund
open_source related projects.

status: between a rock and a hardplace
             sales and managers(pre-occupied with thoughts of-t.v.
commercials)

if somone is friends with Mike O'Dell (VP and chief scientist at UUNet)
please have him mail me :)

Thank You
michael p bolger
drawingincode@lifeplant.com