Posted to dev@nuttx.apache.org by Brennan Ashton <ba...@brennanashton.com> on 2020/01/06 03:09:29 UTC

Need NuttX Logo Submitted to Apache

Greg,
Do you have an SVG of the NuttX logo? Looks like we need to submit it as
instructed here:
https://www.apache.org/logos/about.html

I am trying to check off the remaining items here and I think the logo
requirement will be the last one.  I have a PR for the other website issues.

Thanks,
Brennan

Re: Need NuttX Logo Submitted to Apache

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 1:54 PM Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> If we select a new logo, we should also get a trademark on it. That is
> >> around $600 per country.  For the US, China, and EU that would be around
> >> $1800.
> > If the new logo is the property of the ASF, then isn't the ASF
> > handling issues of trademarking etc?
>
> I don't know the answer, but I doubt that the ASF would be involved in
> trademarking before graduation at any rate

Yes you're most likely right about that.

Maybe we should use the existing logo as the interim logo until graduation
and then hold a logo contest?

Re: Need NuttX Logo Submitted to Apache

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I don't know the answer, but I doubt that the ASF would be involved in trademarking before graduation at any rate.

That would be correct but I wouldn’t let that stop you from making a new logo now. Some projects put the word Apache in the logo so it potentially has more protection.

Whoever created the logo would need to licence under terms we could use or give us permission to use without restrictions.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Need NuttX Logo Submitted to Apache

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 10:30 AM Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If we select a new logo, we should also get a trademark on it. That is
> around $600 per country.  For the US, China, and EU that would be around
> $1800.

If the new logo is the property of the ASF, then isn't the ASF
handling issues of trademarking etc?

Nathan

Re: Need NuttX Logo Submitted to Apache

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.
> If we select a new logo, we should also get a trademark on it. That is
> around $600 per country.  For the US, China, and EU that would be
> around $1800.

I suppose we would also need some kind of grant from the designer to
give us exclusive use of the image as well(?)

Greg

Re: Need NuttX Logo Submitted to Apache

Posted by Alan Carvalho de Assis <ac...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin and Nathan,

On Monday, January 6, 2020, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don’t think it needs to anonymous, but you can make it that way if you
want to. The more important part is to do it openly and transparently and
involve the whole community. I don’t see any bias here just the opportunity
to involve more people.

I think the idea of the contest been anonymous is because people will focus
exclusively in the logo art instead of considering who submitted it.

Nathan, a way we could do it is defining a trusted people to receive the
logo by e-mail and putting it on ASF voting page.

What do you think?

BR,

Alan

Re: Need NuttX Logo Submitted to Apache

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 6:01 AM Alan Carvalho de Assis <ac...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Everyone
>
> On Monday, January 6, 2020, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
> wrote:
> > HI,
> >
> >> Nandier and his team is working on the new logo. Let's wait and see what
> they will create. :-)
> >
> > Hint - they could bring that process onlist and get other people
> involved. Working on things off list isn’t exactly the Apache Way.
> >
> > In fact,  why not open it to the whole community? Apache Flex did that
> and got a lot of really good submissions and we ended up choosing one from
> someone not directly involved with the project.
> >

> My suggestion is to do a contest to select the best Logo, this way the
> community could submit logos as well and we will select the best one,
> without knowning its origin.
>
> If we know it is coming from Xiaomi we could be biased because Xiaomi is a
> great NuttX contributor ;-)
>
> What you think guys?

I like the idea of a logo contest.

How do people submit a logo anonymously?

Nathan

Re: Need NuttX Logo Submitted to Apache

Posted by Alan Carvalho de Assis <ac...@gmail.com>.
Hi Everyone

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Hans <hl...@me.com.INVALID>.
Nandier and his team is working on the new logo. Let's wait and see what
they will create.
:-)

Thanks,
Hans

--
刘华航 (Hans)
行走, 思考, 在路上

Re: Need NuttX Logo Submitted to Apache

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.
> Do you have an SVG of the NuttX logo? Looks like we need to submit it as
> instructed here:
> https://www.apache.org/logos/about.html
>
> I am trying to check off the remaining items here and I think the logo
> requirement will be the last one.  I have a PR for the other website issues.t

Not really.  Alan made an SVG of the logo a few years back, but it
doesn't look very much like the original and I cannot recommend it.

I think we should celebrate the new Apache NuttX with a new, more
contemporary logo.  I have some nostalgic feelings for my old, rustic.
hand drawn logo; I drew that when I first released the project in 2007.
However, a graphics artist at Xiaomi, Nan Dier, has offered to create
some new ideas.

I suggest we wait awhile to see what kind of newer, more contemporary,
more professional logo we can come up with.  This will probably need to
be color coordinated with the website color scheme as well.

Greg