Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Neeme Praks <ne...@one.ee> on 2001/09/30 12:47:11 UTC

RE: i18n message catalogue format

Oeh, finally got some time to go through the Apache mailing list archives
and found some interesting postings :-)
(Better late than never)

Anyway, I would say that the issue of single file vs. multiple files is more
an isse of scale:
* bigger sites prefer to separate languages to different files, so different
translators can work on then separately
* smaller sites usually prefer single file approach, as they have usually
one/few translator(s) and get a better overview this way.

So, I think we should support both ways (or at least make it easy to extend
the XMLResourceBundle, to achieve custom language mappings).

Here I see two possibilities:
* override XMLResourceBundleFactory.getFileName(String name, Locale loc)
method, to give users the ability to map the bundles to the filesystem in a
non-standard way (I have a non-standard mapping in production already)
* provide some method to convert from Java properties file syntax to XPath
and allow to override this method: user requests for "foo.bar" and this
could be translated to "/foo/bar" or
"translations/key[@name='foo.bar']/trans". This translation would most
probably have to happen at the time when the bundle is first loaded.

The first "feature" is already supported by the current implementation and
the second shouldn't be that difficult to add. Then we can provide some
default mappings and message catalogue formats/schemas, but others can
extend the default.

Neeme