Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/18 13:33:03 UTC

towards releasing the new AMQP 1.0 JMS client

Hi all,

We are getting to the point of wanting to do an initial release of the
new AMQP 1.0 JMS client, which raises some items for discussion.

The quick summary of an email that got quite long is: How do we
version it? What do we name it? How do we handle the overlap with the
older AMQP 1.0 JMS client?

We have yet to begin publishing snapshots but this is something I
would like to do soon, once we have a better idea around some of these
items, so that people can test with it more easily before/between
releases.

At the moment the version number is 0.1[-SNAPSHOT], to be followed by
0.2 etc until we think there is sufficient maturity to go 1.0
(sidenote: not years :P). The initial focus has been on implementing
the JMS 1.1 API for now so change will come once we begin implementing
the JMS 2.0 API, which could also be when we bump to 2.0 for the
client itself if we hadn't already for other reasons. I envisage us
doing releases more frequently than our existing components have
tended to and expect we will do small point releases eventually, so I
think it probably makes sense to use 0.1.0 etc from the start (or even
0.0.1 to underscore its the initial release). We could consider adding
alpha/beta etc status, however we would then have to contend with the
version ordering disparities between e.g Maven and OSGi by crafting
some horrible release versions (including the final versions), and I'm
not much of a fan of publishing those to central.

Next up is the name. The new client has thus far been called simply
'Qpid JMS', with module names qpid-jms-foo, and binary tar
apache-qpid-jms[-bin]. We already release two other JMS clients, the
original AMQP 0-x one, module named qpid-client, and the older AMQP
1.0 one, module named qpid-amqp-1-0-jms-client. Although the new
clients name describes what it is, and the version numbers will differ
from the previous clients, do people think this is enough difference?
I think it is still going to be confusing for people no matter what we
do here, but should we perhaps give the new client a component name to
allow them more easily distinguished, i.e a name of the style Qpid Foo
or Qpid FooJMS? If so, any ideas (failing spectacularly over here)?

As mentioned, we already release the older AMQP 1.0 JMS client, which
raises some points for how we handle the overlap. We will obviously
continue to release it for some period, until we presumably drop back
to just having two JMS client again in form of the original 0-x client
and the new 1.0 client once it has matured a bit. Currently the older
1.0 client is released along with the other components in the 'java
tree', such as the Java broker and the AMQP 0-x JMS client. We have
spoken about reorganising the source tree after 0.32 to better
facilitate independent releases of components. I did wonder if this
would also be an opportunity to make the older 1.0 client released
independently from e.g the broker and 0-x client, as it could then be
released more on-demand rather than on-schedule as presently. On the
other hand, this might make the naming thing more confusing since it
wouldn't simply be part of the 'java release' any longer and would
stand alone just like the new client, in which case leaving it part of
the 'java release' may actually be the simpler option.

Thoughts?

Robbie

Re: towards releasing the new AMQP 1.0 JMS client

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
Personally I'd probably release that client independently from the rest of
the java tree unless we happened to coincidentally want a patch release of
the rest of the Java tree at the same time.

Post 0.32 I think we are probably thinking of doing incremental patch
releases off the 0.32 branch for Java components if/when significant
defects come about (making 0.32 a sort of long term support version).  From
trunk we'll be starting on the great directory re-org so that as previously
discussed, going forward we'll be doing independent releases between Java
and C++ at a minimum, and possibly at an even finer granularity.

-- Rob

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 18 February 2015 at 14:31, Richard Li <ri...@datawire.io> wrote:

>> Next up is the name. The new client has thus far been called simply
>> 'Qpid JMS', with module names qpid-jms-foo, and binary tar
>> apache-qpid-jms[-bin]. We already release two other JMS clients, the
>> original AMQP 0-x one, module named qpid-client, and the older AMQP
>> 1.0 one, module named qpid-amqp-1-0-jms-client. Although the new
>> clients name describes what it is, and the version numbers will differ
>> from the previous clients, do people think this is enough difference?
>> I think it is still going to be confusing for people no matter what we
>> do here, but should we perhaps give the new client a component name to
>> allow them more easily distinguished, i.e a name of the style Qpid Foo
>> or Qpid FooJMS? If so, any ideas (failing spectacularly over here)?
>>

> Speaking as someone who is very new to Qpid (and knows nothing about the
> differences between the different JMS clients), I think it's essential that
> at the top level (i.e., qpid.apache.org) there is a cogent description of
> the different JMS clients, e.g.,
>
>    Qpid JMS: an AMQP-fluent JMS implementation that supports AMQP 0.9,
> 0.9.1, and 1.0
>       - NEWCLIENT_NAME: AMQP 1.0 JMS client, recommended for new projects,
>       - qpid-amqp-1-0-jms-client: AMQP 1.0 JMS client that's legacy? stable?
>       - qpid-client: AMQP 0.9 JMS client
>
> In particular, explaining when you should use the new 1.0 client vs the old
> one is important -- otherwise, someone like myself will either have to post
> to the mailing list, or read a bunch of threads to try to figure out which
> one to use. In my opinion, the name, while important, won't convey
> sufficient information to make it obvious which a user should choose, and
> to me, that should be a goal of the front page of qpid.apache.org.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Richard

Making whatever we end up doing be clear on the website is certainly a goal :)

Re: towards releasing the new AMQP 1.0 JMS client

Posted by Richard Li <ri...@datawire.io>.

Posted by Rafael Schloming <rh...@alum.mit.edu>.
On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/19/2015 08:01 AM, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
>
>> Any more opinions out there on the name/version of the new client? If
>> not, I'll likely proceed to update the version to 0.1.0[-SNAPSHOT],
>> leave the module names as qpid-jms-foo, and begin working on setting
>> up a Jenkins job to publish snapshots to repository.apache.org later
>> today or tomorrow.
>>
>> Robbie
>>

> I like the idea of just letting the new client supplant the old one using
> the QPid JMS name.  I'm pretty sure no matter what we called it there'd be
> confusion so I think its better to just try and do a good job of making
> things clear on the website and answer the question as they come up.  Over
> time this should all work itself out.

+1

--Rafael

Re: towards releasing the new AMQP 1.0 JMS client

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On 02/19/2015 08:01 AM, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> Any more opinions out there on the name/version of the new client? If
> not, I'll likely proceed to update the version to 0.1.0[-SNAPSHOT],
> leave the module names as qpid-jms-foo, and begin working on setting
> up a Jenkins job to publish snapshots to repository.apache.org later
> today or tomorrow.
>
> Robbie

I like the idea of just letting the new client supplant the old one
using the QPid JMS name.  I'm pretty sure no matter what we called it
there'd be confusion so I think its better to just try and do a good job
of making things clear on the website and answer the question as they
come up.  Over time this should all work itself out.

> On 18 February 2015 at 22:39, Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com> wrote:

Tim Bish
Sr Software Engineer | RedHat Inc.
tim.bish@redhat.com | www.redhat.com
skype: tabish121 | twitter: @tabish121
blog: http://timbish.blogspot.com/

Re: towards releasing the new AMQP 1.0 JMS client

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rajith Muditha Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1 on,

*.  Calling the new JMS impl "Qpid JMS".
*.  Encouraging new development to use this client.
*.  Add a clear note explaining the current situation with our JMS clients.
*.  Naming the " qpid-amqp-1-0-jms-client" to include the word "prototype",
which is what it is at best.

Rajith

Posted by Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com>.