Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jing BJCDL Bai <ji...@cn.ibm.com> on 2011/11/01 03:48:17 UTC

Greetings from Betsy

Greetings! I just joined this group. I am Betsy Bai  - ID team lead for IBM
Lotus Symphony since 2008.

It is great to work with the experts in this community. My interested area
is to create and maintain the editor help and other documentation that can
bridge the gap between people and software, make the product more
accessible to people.

In ApacheOpenoffice community, I will be pleased to contribute to build the
help infrastructure, process to create and maintain the documentation. The
draft idea is to make the help more collaborative and interactive. WIKI
help would be a good candidate which has been implemented already for Lotus
Symphony help.

I have one questions to the experts:

Where can I get the current documentation infrastructure, and the current
status?

Many thanks!

Best regards,
Betsy(柏静)
ID team lead,  Lotus Symphony & IBM Docs
IBM China Software Development Laboratory
Telephone: 86-10-82451376
Internal Mail: jingbai@cn.ibm.com
Address:28,ZhongGuanCun Software Park,No.8 Dong Bei Wang West Road, Haidian
District Beijing P.R.China 100193

Re: Greetings from Betsy

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 11/2/11 9:14 AM, Mathias Bauer wrote:
> On 01.11.2011 09:21, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>
>> the help content is currently coming from xhp files that you can find in
>> the helpcontent2 module in the source. xhp files are xml files that can
>> be edited with the office (a special filter is required) and there
>> exists an extensions that can help to edit these files. It's a
>> collection of macros as far as i know that provides some useful tooling
>> to manage help-ids etc. But i am not expert here and i can't say where
>> to find this extension. but i will try to figure that out or hopefully
>> somebody else can help us.
> I took the liberty to commit the help authoring extension into one of my
> last cws some months ago. It should be integrated into AOOo already
> (module helpauthoring).
>
> It was a quick hack just to save it, I didn't invest a lot of time to
> fix the build of it. But as this is only packaging, it should be easy to
> accomplish that.

perfect, so we have at least the tools to work with the xhp files until
we may have something else. Perhaps a new more open and standardized format.

Juergen

Re: Greetings from Betsy

Posted by Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net>.

Re: Greetings from Betsy

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 11/1/11 3:48 AM, Jing BJCDL Bai wrote:

> Greetings! I just joined this group. I am Betsy Bai  - ID team lead for IBM
> Lotus Symphony since 2008.
>
> It is great to work with the experts in this community. My interested area
> is to create and maintain the editor help and other documentation that can
> bridge the gap between people and software, make the product more
> accessible to people.
>
> In ApacheOpenoffice community, I will be pleased to contribute to build the
> help infrastructure, process to create and maintain the documentation. The
> draft idea is to make the help more collaborative and interactive. WIKI
> help would be a good candidate which has been implemented already for Lotus
> Symphony help.

hi Betsy, welcome on board, it's great to see that more and more people
join the project.

> I have one questions to the experts:
>
> Where can I get the current documentation infrastructure, and the current
> status?
the help content is currently coming from xhp files that you can find in
the helpcontent2 module in the source. xhp files are xml files that can
be edited with the office (a special filter is required) and there
exists an extensions that can help to edit these files. It's a
collection of macros as far as i know that provides some useful tooling
to manage help-ids etc. But i am not expert here and i can't say where
to find this extension. but i will try to figure that out or hopefully
somebody else can help us. These help files are part of the final
binary, they will be indexed etc. and the integrated help system
provides the access during runtime. As i mentioned before i am no expert
here and don't know the details.

Documentation is handled differently. Many stuff can be find in the OOo
wiki (which is now migrated) to
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Main_Page, see the
documentation area http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation

And there is a very active group of authors who work on new guides,
updates or enhancement of existing documentation. The communication took
place on the dev@documentation.openoffice.org mailing list and now here
on this list ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org. Maybe later we will create a
new documentation specific mailing list.

I hope that helps a little bit and please fell free to ask further
questions.

Juergen

Re: Greetings from Betsy

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
2011/10/31 Jing BJCDL Bai <ji...@cn.ibm.com>:

> Greetings! I just joined this group. I am Betsy Bai  - ID team lead for IBM
> Lotus Symphony since 2008.

ID == Information Development == Documentation

One of many buzzwords we have at IBM.