Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/11 20:49:07 UTC

[ApacheDS] Java 6 ?

Hi all,

Does anyone have any idea when we can migrate to Java 6 ? What are
your thoughts on this? Should we not do that? Or if we should when?

Thanks.

--
Ersin Er

R.A. and Ph.D Student at the Dept. of Computer Eng. in Hacettepe University
http://www.cs.hacettepe.edu.tr

Committer and PMC Member of The Apache Directory Project
http://directory.apache.org

Re: [ApacheDS] Java 6 ?

Posted by Stefan Zoerner <sz...@apache.org>.
Ersin Er wrote:

> Does anyone have any idea when we can migrate to Java 6 ? What are
> your thoughts on this? Should we not do that? Or if we should when?

What do you exactly mean with "migrate to Java 6"? I think we should
make the server support Java 6 (if it is not already compliant) as soon
as possible. But we should not depend on any Java 6 feature. People will
stick with Java 5 for a very long time. By the way: many project I coach
currently migrate to Java 5. Do you have any specific Java 6 feature in
mind?

Greetings from the Ruhr,
     Stefan

---8<---

Stefan Zoerner (szoerner@apache.org)
Committer :: PMC Member

Apache Directory Project
http://directory.apache.org

Re: [ApacheDS] Java 6 ?

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Moving to Java 6 is somehow complex, as many users will depend on Java
5, especially for the embedded server.

However, if we design the SP part with extreme caution, we will be
able to have a server working well on Java 5 - without scripting
languages - but needing Java 6 if used with scripted.

JIRA ?

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com