Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Jenny Brown <je...@bigbrother.net> on 2002/11/12 16:56:24 UTC

null pointer exception in servlet

I'm having trouble with a recently set up cocoon instance, processing an
example xml and xslt file.  This seems to be happening inside Cocoon, so
I am not sure how to fix it.

org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException:
Exception during processing of
http://jenny.myinfogenic.net/sitebuilder/simple.xsl:

java.lang.NullPointerException at
  org.apache.cocoon.components.source.AbstractStreamSource.toSAX(AbstractStreamSource.java:211) at
  org.apache.cocoon.components.xslt.XSLTProcessorImpl.getTransformerHandler(XSLTProcessorImpl.java:268) at
  org.apache.cocoon.components.xslt.XSLTProcessorImpl.getTransformerHandler(XSLTProcessorImpl.java:239) at
  org.apache.cocoon.components.xslt.XSLTProcessorImpl.transform(XSLTProcessorImpl.java:311) at
  jendvsl.web_post_xsl(jendvsl.java:87)

Thanks.

Jenny Brown

Re: null pointer exception in servlet

Posted by Jenny Brown <je...@bigbrother.net>.
On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Bobby Mitchell wrote:

> Jenny Brown wrote:
>
> >I had indeed missed that step.  I've done it now, but don't seem to be
> >having any better results... same error.  I'm not sure how to test that
> >the /jre/lib/ changes actually took effect though.  I did restart tomcat
> >just in case.
> >

> <snip>
> Also, make sure to delete the contents of the tomcat work directory
> before you restart tomcat.

I did that and restarted, still the same problem.  Here's a snippet of
Cocoon's code where the NPE is actually occurring, in AbstractStreamSource:

public void toSAX(ContentHandler handler)
throws SAXException, ProcessingException
{
  Parser parser = null;
  try {
      parser = (Parser)this.manager.lookup(Parser.ROLE);  <--- NPE this line
      parser.parse( this.getInputSource(), handler);
  }
}

Since that line has multiple references I'm not quite sure which one
ended up being null; but maybe this is enough for someone to notice what
I am likely missing?

Posted by Bobby Mitchell <bm...@niac.usra.edu>.

Posted by Jenny Brown <je...@bigbrother.net>.
I had indeed missed that step.  I've done it now, but don't seem to be
having any better results... same error.  I'm not sure how to test that
the /jre/lib/ changes actually took effect though.  I did restart tomcat
just in case.

Here's the error I'm still getting:

DEBUG   10371   [jendvsl ] (): XSLTProcessorImpl:
transform source = org.apache.cocoon.components.source.URLSource@2c3327,
stylesheet = org.apache.cocoon.components.source.URLSource@d24e3f,
parameters = org.apache.avalon.framework.parameters.Parameters@f41e9,
result = javax.xml.transform.stream.StreamResult@b05acd
DEBUG   10371   [jendvsl ] (): Creating new Templates
for http://jenny.myinfogenic.net/sitebuilder/simple.xsl
DEBUG   10371   [jendvsl ] ():
Source = org.apache.cocoon.components.source.URLSource@d24e3f,
templatesHandler = org.apache.xalan.processor.StylesheetHandler@1989b5

java.lang.NullPointerException at
org.apache.cocoon.components.source.AbstractStreamSource.toSAX(AbstractStreamSource.java:204) at

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Jenny Brown <je...@bigbrother.net>.
On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Charles Brewster wrote:

> A trivial point, not to be insulting, :-)  but did you install the vm14
> download version of cocoon built for 1.4.0

Good question.  I downloaded Cocoon-2.0.3 as a source tar/gzip.  I then
built it using the most recent version of ant.  It built successfully
and told me during build that it was built for 1.4 and wouldn't work
with other versions.

So... Hopefully that answers your question, as it is a rather important one.

Thanks for any help.

Posted by Charles Brewster <ch...@shaw.ca>.

Posted by Jenny Brown <je...@bigbrother.net>.

Posted by Charles Brewster <ch...@shaw.ca>.
Jenny Brown wrote:

>I'm having trouble with a recently set up cocoon instance, processing an
>example xml and xslt file.  This seems to be happening inside Cocoon, so
>I am not sure how to fix it.
>

>org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException:
>Exception during processing of
>http://jenny.myinfogenic.net/sitebuilder/simple.xsl:

Jenny I downloaded your two files simple.x?l to my own coccon