Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "John G. Norman" <jo...@7fff.com> on 2005/03/25 04:40:33 UTC

15 second delay on closed system

I've set up a small closed network. I'm using this little network for a
demo. I'm observing 15 second delays in sending -- can't seem to see why
there would be any appreciable delay.

The config is:

The network IP addresses are 192.168.50.*

All systems are running Windows XP Pro SP 2.

A DNS server (SANS -- a scaled-down version of Posadis --
http://www.posadis.com/news/050108-sans?DokuWiki=a77bd42d2aea0d787b15fbd85e76fdc4)
runs on 192.168.50.10.

Other machines have IPs 192.168.50.20, .30, .40. Each has a name.

The names are:

.10 sysa.com
.20 sysb.com
.30 sysc.com
.40 sysd.com

Each runs James.

The James config.xml on each is the one shipped with James (with host names
set appropriately -- I am using SMTP AUTH).

The good news: Mail moves between systems.

The bad news: There is a sending delay. The delay is very similar for
e-mail sent between all systems.

Here's an example header of a mail send to john@sysa.com from
marialopez321@sysd.com:

From: "Maria Lopez" <ma...@sysd.com>
To: "John G. Norman" <jo...@sysa.com>
Subject: Re: test
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:23:29 -0800

I'm stumped. Also not 100% sure of what log should show me what the problem
is -- I don't see any obvious "hang" in any of the logs.

John N.

Re: 15 second delay on closed system

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:32:52 -0500
  "John G. Norman" <jo...@7fff.com> wrote:
> So . . . Why would the reachability of non-authoritative
>secondary DNS make a difference either way?

My guess (very much so) is that James is trying the DNS
servers in reverse order.  This is a total guess, but I
can't be sure how it's loading the DNS configurations... I
don't think we've ever talked about what might happen if
you had one good and one bad DNS server.

Anyway, that does explain a 15 second timeout since you
see no CPU crunching and a 15 second delay, and most
importantly, it disappears when you remove the secondary
DNS.

I would confirm that the server can reach the secondary
DNS server (at the network level... use a tool like
nslookup).

--
Serge Knystautas

RE: 15 second delay on closed system [P.S.]

Posted by "John G. Norman" <jo...@7fff.com>.
[P.S.] In the James config.xml, specifying the DNS as authoritative or not
doesn't have an impact on this particular issue. So it's something about
the specification of the secondary DNS resources, and their availability.

Posted by "John G. Norman" <jo...@7fff.com>.
Noel (and anyone else . . .),

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.