Posted to user@commons.apache.org by "J.V." <jv...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/01 21:05:19 UTC

[daemon] - cannot start service - what are my options?

I am attempting to start a service that I just installed with prunsrv.
The service was created as "automatic" so I would expect it to start
running after installing but it does not, I do not know why, there is
nothing in the logs that say it is attempting to start the service or
that it failed - nada.

---
I start the UI manager and the service shows as stopped, I attempt to
start it but nothing happens, I would expect a popup with an explanation
if it fails.  It is still stopped.  I check the log files and there is
no indication of a failure as I would expect.

I have setup all logging options (correct paths & DEBUG).

When I attempt to start via batch file "//TS", I get "  $1 is not a
valid Win32 application.

I am using the 32bit prunsrv binary.

What does this message mean and how do I fix it?

---
When I try to run with "//ES" I get:

Can anyone tell me which file this refers to?  There is nothing more in
the stdout output and nothing in the log files that would indicate the
problem.  I have checked all parameters in the "install.bat" file I
created to install the service.  This is a Java app that I have added
many jars to a /lib/ directory and included in the classpath properly.
     -Classpath="C:\<path_to_the_jar>;C:\path\lib\*"

the lib\ directory contains dozens of jars and usage of the classpath
like this with a wild card is valid with jdk 1.6 and above.

If I can get information as to which file is not found I can get this
going, I have lost a day trying to get this service to run because of
lousy debugging info that is displayed.  There is pressure from the team
to use something else (commercial), if I cannot get this going within
the next hour or so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

J.V.