Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com> on 2009/02/20 03:46:21 UTC

LIA2 on l.a.o/java OK?

Hello,

Would it be OK to put the book cover and link to LIA2 some place on lucene.apache.org/java, say below the navigation elements on the left side of the page?  I/we (authors) think it makes sense to do this -- the book is for the Lucene community after all, but wanted to check with the rest of java-dev@ before doing something that could be seen as self-promotion.

Thanks,
Otis

Re: LIA2 on l.a.o/java OK?

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: LIA2 on l.a.o/java OK?

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.

Re: LIA2 on l.a.o/java OK?

Posted by mark harwood <ma...@yahoo.co.uk>.
I'm OK with LIA2 on the front page - as Erik suggests it does help lend credibility to a project.
I encounter organisations who are nervous about buying into an open-source solution and having books up there on the home page immediately helps establish the following:

1) The APIs are stable enough to warrant published documentation
2) There is a reasonable level of adoption in the market
3) There is material available to support new users if they get stuck

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.

Re: LIA2 on l.a.o/java OK?

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

has the Manning cover in the lower-left sidebar: <http://ibatis.apache.org/
Struts more subtly: <http://struts.apache.org/>.  ActiveMQ has a news
blurb with big book cover: <http://activemq.apache.org/>

As for other books making it there... that'd be fine by me to have a
few book covers shown on the home page.  I imagine we won't hear other
authors even asking.

>  I just don't think we can imply that LIA2 is the "official book on
> Lucene".

It's the only book dedicated exclusively to Lucene that I'm aware of,
and all of the co-authors are committers/PMC members and active

Re: LIA2 on l.a.o/java OK?

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Isn't that what http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/Resources is for?
I like LIA as much as the next person,  but if we do it for LIA2 then
it opens the door for others (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Lucene&x=0&y=0
) which will likely clutter the page quite a bit.

Maybe an alternative is to more prominently link the book section of
the Resources page from the main site?  I could see adding a "Books on
Lucene" menu item and maybe even having a separate Wiki page for books
if you want.

I'm also totally for any and all authors submitting "News Item"
patches to the front page, so it would be totally appropriate to link
it there (in fact, that will give you more prominence anyway).  I just
don't think we can imply that LIA2 is the "official book on Lucene".

-Grant