Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@marcchamberlin.com> on 2011/10/22 22:29:09 UTC

Bounce notifications getting sent to our mail list

Hi -  I am running a mail list on my James 2.3.2 server on an openSuSE
11.3 Linux system and am encountering a problem with bounce messages
being sent to all the members of the mail list. (quite annoying to
them!) I have changed my passwords also, but no joy. So wonder if some
kind James guru can help me track down and fix the problem. I am
attaching what I think is pertinent information with sensitive
information changed..

 From james-listmanager.xml my configuration for the list is as follows -

<mailet match="CommandListservMatcher=maillist@ourdomain.com"
class="CommandListservManager">
<!--resources-->
<resources>/james/james-2.3.2/apps/james/conf/miResources.xml</resources>
<!-- general information -->
<listName>maillist</listName>
<displayName>Our Group mailing list</displayName>
<listOwner>postmaster@ourdomain.com</listOwner>
<repositoryName>list-maillist</repositoryName>
<listDomain>ourdomain.com</listDomain>

<!-- the packages where the commands can be loaded from -->
<commandpackages>
<commandpackage>org.apache.james.transport.mailets.listservcommands</commandpackage>
</commandpackages>

<!-- all the available commands for this command. -->
<commands>
<command name="subscribe" class="Subscribe"/>
<command name="subscribe-confirm" class="SubscribeConfirm"/>
<command name="unsubscribe" class="UnSubscribe"/>
<command name="unsubscribe-confirm" class="UnSubscribeConfirm"/>
<command name="error" class="ErrorCommand"/>
<command name="owner" class="Owner"/>
<command name="info" class="Info"/>
</commands>
</mailet>

<!-- the processor for this list serv -->
<mailet match="RecipientIs=maillist@ourdomain.com"
class="CommandListservProcessor">
<membersonly>true</membersonly>
<attachmentsallowed>true</attachmentsallowed>
<replytolist>true</replytolist>
<repositoryName>list-maillist</repositoryName>
<subjectprefix>maillist: </subjectprefix>
<autobracket>true</autobracket>
<listOwner>postmaster@ourdomain.com</listOwner>
<listName>maillist</listName>
</mailet>

My suspicion is that this is getting generated in response to some
spammers attempt to break in to the mail list and send their junk to
everyone who belongs to the list. I have James configured to drop the
content of the spam when it bounces an email, so just the notification
shown below is what actually gets sent to the list. (Which confuses a
lot of the list members since they do not understand why they are
getting this notification since they did not send anything...)

I took a bit of a look at some of the source code behind James and one
item that caught my eye is that James adds a header line - X-been-there:
maillist@ourdomain.com which I think is suppose to prevent James from
sending the bounce message to the mail list. So I do not grok why this
got through and sent to everyone....

Here is an example of the source of the email that gets sent
successfully to the mail list -

 From - Sat Jul 30 04:33:54 2011
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 04:14:20 -0700 (PDT)
To: maillist <ma...@ourdomain.com>

------=_Part_120_10311807.1312024460067

Hi! This is the list serv program. I'm managing the
maillist@ourdomain.com mailing list.

I'm working for my owner, who can be reached at
maillist-owner@ourdomain.com.
An error occurred while processing your request:
     Only members of this listserv are allowed to send a message to the
maillist mailing list.

Yada yada yada..... (rest of this standard message deleted)

This is not happening all the time, just occasionally.. Most of the spam
sent to the mail list does get dropped into the bit bucket. Appreciate
any help getting to the bottom of this problem.. Thanks in advance..

     Marc...