Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Mark Kerzner <ma...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/07 06:38:45 UTC

Can't start the namenode

Hi,

when I am trying to start a namenode in pseudo-mode

sudo /etc/init.d/hadoop-0.20-namenode start

I get a permission error

java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/usr/lib/hadoop-0.20/logs/hadoop-hadoop-namenode-myservername.log
(Permission denied)

However, it does create another log file in the same directory

ls /usr/lib/hadoop-0.20/logs

hadoop-hadoop-namenode-myservername.out

I am using CDH3, what am I doing wrong?

Thank you,

Mark

Re: Can't start the namenode

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@gmail.com>.
I kind of found the problem. If I open the logs directory, I see that this
log file is created by hdfs

-rw-r--r-- 1 hdfs hdfs 1399 Jul  6 21:48
hadoop-hadoop-namenode-myservername.log

whereas the rest of the logs are created by root, and they have no problem
doing this.

I can adjust permissions on the logs directory, but I would expect this
automatics.