Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Frank Maritato <fm...@opentable.com> on 2018/05/23 18:19:11 UTC

Airflow cli to remote host

Hi All,

I need to be able to run backfill for my jobs against our production airflow server. Is there a way to run

airflow backfill job_name -s 2018-05-01

against a remote server? I didn’t see a -h option to specify a hostname.

If not, is there a way through the ui to do this? I'd rather not have to ssh into the production server to run these jobs.

Thanks!
--
Frank Maritato

Re: Airflow cli to remote host

Posted by Maxime Beauchemin <ma...@gmail.com>.
A quick side note to say that it's common to deploy one or many Airflow
sandboxes which are effectively the same configuration as a worker without
an actual worker instance working on it. It's similar to the concept of a
"gateway node" in Hadoop.

Users typically work in user space with a modified `airflow.cfg` that may
point to an alternate metadata database (to insulate production) that may
or may not have alternate connections registered to staging / dev
counterparts if existing, depending on policy. You'll typically find the
same Airflow package and python environment as the one used in production
with similar connectivity to other systems and databases. From there you
can run any cli commands and even fire up your own Airflow webserver that
you can tunnel into if need be.

For example at Lyft there's a simple cli application that will prepare your
remote home and hook things up (provide a working airflow.cfg, sync/clone
the pipeline repo for you, ...) so that it all works and feels similar to
other development workflows specific to Lyft. It basically automated the
whole "setting up a dev env" with the proper policies.

At Airbnb, the "data sandboxes" act as Airflow sandboxes that you can ssh
into, AND JupyterHub nodes where you can find the same home whether you ssh
or you access Jupyter.

In the Kubernetes world, it seems like there should be an easy way to order
or "lease" an Airflow sandbox that would have your home directory persisted
and mounted on that pod just for the time that you need it.

Max

Posted by Luke Diment <Lu...@westpac.co.nz>.

Posted by Kyle Hamlin <ha...@gmail.com>.

--
Kyle Hamlin

Re: Airflow cli to remote host

Posted by Luke Diment <Lu...@westpac.co.nz>.
Just use SSH to exec the job on the remote server.

Luke.

Sent from my iPhone