Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by David Dodini <da...@traveltripper.com> on 2010/09/06 19:10:21 UTC

CPL and EPL Licensing

Hi,

We are using Apache CXF and of course the dependency on wsdl4j. We are doing
an audit for ourselves and our customers to ensure that none of our
commercial software must be open sourced due to any dependencies. It is our
understanding that with CPL we will have to open source our software.

In doing research on this we found that the OSI has deprecated CPL and
states that the EPL supersedes the CPL<http://www.opensource.org/licenses/cpl>
.

We are merely linking to wsdl4j via Apache CXF, and not modifying the source
in any way. Further more, we do not distribute a binary. We are using a
Software As A Service business/distribution model.

Does this indemnify us from the CPL licensing terms?

Cheers!
- David

Re: CPL and EPL Licensing

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
CAVEAT: We are not a source of legal advice.

Who told you that CPL was viral? The ASF legal dept decided that it was not,
and my quick reading does not seem to indicate that.

See http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html. Since we don't incorporate or
modify the source of this package, neither do you.

We don't control wsdl4j licensing. To change the license the copyright
holders would have to relicense.