Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org> on 2009/05/07 21:59:55 UTC

Junit tests taking longer to run on trunk?

Just noticed in the past week or so that the openjpa-persistence-jdbc
bucket went from taking about 30 mins. to run for me under JDK5 on my
Mac (Core 2 Duo @ 2.5GHz) to around 45 mins. now (and same results on
WinXP)....  Anyone else noticed this?

So, I dug into the openjpa-persistence-jdbc results and noticed that the
lockmgr tests are taking about 26 mins. of that time to run by just
executing that subset of tests -

mvn -o test -Dtest=org.apache.openjpa.persistence.lockmgr.*
-Dopenjpa.loglevel=TRACE

Looking at the run times -
org.apache.openjpa.persistence.lockmgr.TestMixedLockManagerRefreshPermutation
takes 15 mins. to run
org.apache.openjpa.persistence.lockmgr.TestMixedLockManagerLockPermutation
takes 4.2 mins. to run
org.apache.openjpa.persistence.lockmgr.TestMixedLockManagerFindPermutation
takes 4.2 mins. to run

Has there been any relevant changes introduced by the recent metamodel
or criteria work that could have affected the tests like this?

If not, is there anyway we can reduce the amount of time or number of
tests we run for lockmgr testing?  Seems that we have included way too
many tests (creates/deletes around 678 threads during the tests) for a
simple unit test goal and most of these could be moved to a SVT bucket....

-Donald

Re: Junit tests taking longer to run on trunk?

Posted by Michael Dick <mi...@gmail.com>.
This is one of the reasons I'd like to move over to jUnit 4.x. EMF
initialization / cleanup could be done in @BeforeClass / @AfterClass
methods. The catch is the using jUnit 4 uses around 4x the heap space. I'm
not sure whether this is a result of using jUnit 4 to run jUnit 3 tests, or
whether it would be the case if we converted the entire bucket though.

Making the EMF static in SingleEMFTC should have the same effect, but I
haven't had a chance to try it out..

-mike

Posted by Pinaki Poddar <pp...@apache.org>.
Hi,

-----

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.
Thanks for taking a look.
The changes in Rev773149 last Friday reduced the lockmgr runtime to
about 19-20 mins for me, so an improvement of about 5 mins, but still
seems like way too much time spent on unit tests for one piece of the
overall spec...

-Donald

Posted by Albert Lee <al...@gmail.com>.
Donald,

--
Albert Lee.

Re: Junit tests taking longer to run on trunk?

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Miłosz Tylenda <mt...@o2.pl>.