Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org> on 2006/12/13 10:21:25 UTC

Incubator Releases

Hey,
I'm just trying to familiarise myself what it really means to be an
incubated project and came across this:

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ExitingIncubator
* Note: incubator projects are not permitted to issue an official
Release. Test snapshots (however good the quality) and Release plans
are OK.

How does "official Relase" differ to what incubated projects release
just now? Is it the inclusion of the disclaimer that make them ok?

Is this just old text? It sounds like no releases only snapshots.
Would that mean we could only deploy maven snapshots not releases?

Cheers
--
Martin Ritchie

Re: Incubator Releases

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 12/13/06, Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hey,
> I'm just trying to familiarise myself what it really means to be an
> incubated project and came across this:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ExitingIncubator
> * Note: incubator projects are not permitted to issue an official
> Release. Test snapshots (however good the quality) and Release plans
> are OK.
>
> How does "official Relase" differ to what incubated projects release
> just now? Is it the inclusion of the disclaimer that make them ok?
>
> Is this just old text? It sounds like no releases only snapshots.
> Would that mean we could only deploy maven snapshots not releases?

I believe that's old text.  Incubator projects can release software,
if it's approved by the incubator PMC and is branded in such a way to
make it clear that it's from an incubating project.

-garrett