Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Pardha Paruchuri <pa...@yahoo.com> on 2006/03/16 17:24:40 UTC

TTFreader not able to convert barcode font into XML

Hi,

  FOP TTF reader is not able to convert the barcode font into XML metrics file. It was able to convert other fonts like TIMES and COUR etc.,

  Could you please advise.

  Pardha

---------------------------------

Re: TTFreader not able to convert barcode font into XML

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 21.03.2006 21:29:24 Pardha Paruchuri wrote:
> Jeremias, thanks for your help.
>
> I dont know exactly who installed this font in our company. Its already
> in the machine and its called 3of9 barcode font(3of9.ttf). thats what we
> see in MS word. If I try to convert the word into PDF using the Adobe
> 6.0 standard --> create PDF from file, it creates the PDF with the
> barcode font. I am trying to accomplish the same, Please advise.

I already told you what the problem is: FOP has a problem with TrueType
fonts that don't contain cmap tables. Someone has to take a look and try
to fix it if this is to be solved.

> Also another thing I should tell you, I could not see TIMES and COUR
> fonts in the PDF so I had create a metrics file for each and enable them
> in the userconfig file. Aren't they supposed so showup without creating
> the XML metrics file because these are the default fonts supported by
> Adobe.

Yes, the "base 14" fonts (Helvetica, Times, Courier, ZapfDingbats and
Symbol) are "built-in". Your probably didn't see Times because it might
be replaced internally by your PDF viewer by another, similar font with
a different name. As long as the text is displayed correctly, you're ok.
No need to explicitely (re)define the base 14 fonts.

> I have tried using K3 barcode font from 0.91 beta but in vain.

Why? Was there a problem?

> and I dont think I can go for the Barcode4J because we have already used
> 3of9barcode in word documents.

That's not a good argument. Barcode4J doesn't even require a font. It
generates the barcodes as graphics.

<snip/>

Jeremias Maerki

Re: TTFreader not able to convert barcode font into XML

Posted by Pardha Paruchuri <pa...@yahoo.com>.
Jeremias, thanks for your help.

  I dont know exactly who installed this font in our company. Its already in the machine and its called 3of9 barcode font(3of9.ttf). thats what we see in MS word. If I try to convert the word into PDF using the Adobe 6.0 standard --> create PDF from file, it creates the PDF with the barcode font. I am trying to accomplish the same, Please advise.

  Also another thing I should tell you, I could not see TIMES and COUR fonts in the PDF so I had create a metrics file for each and enable them in the userconfig file. Aren't they supposed so showup without creating the XML metrics file because these are the default fonts supported by Adobe.

  I have tried using K3 barcode font from 0.91 beta but in vain.
  and I dont think I can go for the Barcode4J because we have already used 3of9barcode in word documents.

  -Pardha

Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
  We still don't know where you got your 3 of 9 barcode font from, so there's
no way anyone can help with that particular font. Obviously, FOP cannot
work with TrueType fonts that do not contain cmap tables. Either FOP has
to be extended to deal with this or you have to find an alternative to
your barcode font.

I have two alternatives for you:
- Find another 3 of 9 barcode font. For example, you can use the K3.ttf
font that is in the examples/fo/advanced folder in the 0.91beta
distribution.
- Or you can use Barcode4J which is a barcode generator that works with
FOP: http://barcode4j.krysalis.org

wrote:
> I tried with -enc ansi, it still giving the same message "Unicode cmap table not present"
>
> "J.Pietschmann" wrote:
> Pardha Paruchuri wrote:
> > FOP TTF reader is not able to convert the barcode font into XML
> > metrics file. It was able to convert other fonts like TIMES and COUR
> > etc.,
>
> You probably need to add
> -enc ansi
> to the command line, see
> http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.91/fonts.html#truetype-metrics

Jeremias Maerki

---------------------------------
 Yahoo! Mail

Re: TTFreader not able to convert barcode font into XML

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.

Posted by Pardha Paruchuri <pa...@yahoo.com>.

  Pardha Paruchuri wrote:
> FOP TTF reader is not able to convert the barcode font into XML
> metrics file. It was able to convert other fonts like TIMES and COUR
> etc.,

You probably need to add
-enc ansi
to the command line, see
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.91/fonts.html#truetype-metrics

J.Pietschmann

---------------------------------

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Mail

Re: TTFreader not able to convert barcode font into XML

Posted by Pardha Paruchuri <pa...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Pardha Paruchuri <pa...@yahoo.com>.
here is the error msg:

  Reading c:\windows\fonts\3of9.ttf...
  Number of glyphs in font: 218
Unicode cmap table not present
        at java.util.ArrayList.RangeCheck(ArrayList.java:507)
        at org.apache.fop.fonts.TTFFile.createCMaps(TTFFile.java:449)
        at org.apache.fop.fonts.TTFFile.readFont(TTFFile.java:439)
        at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.loadTTF(TTFReader.java:222)
        at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.main(TTFReader.java:184)

Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
  Pardha Paruchuri wrote:

> Hi,
>
> FOP TTF reader is not able to convert the barcode font into XML metrics
> file. It was able to convert other fonts like TIMES and COUR etc.,

In addition to the information Clay has already asked for. We are going
to need to see the error message you get when you run the TTFReader.

Chris

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Travel
 Find  great deals to the top 10 hottest destinations!

Re: TTFreader not able to convert barcode font into XML

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Pardha Paruchuri <pa...@yahoo.com>.
FOP version: 0.20.5

  font name: 3of9 barcode(3of9.ttf)

  JVM 1.4

Web Maestro Clay <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
  On Mar 16, 2006, at 8:24 AM, Pardha Paruchuri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> FOP TTF reader is not able to convert the barcode font into XML
> metrics file. It was able to convert other fonts like TIMES and
> COUR etc.,
>
> Could you please advise.
>
> Pardha

In order to help, we'll need more info.

What is the FONT name? Is there a URL where it can be downloaded for
testing?

Which version of FOP (0.20.5? 0.91x? TRUNK?)

Which JVM/JRE? (1.3x, 1.4x, 1.5x?)

Also, you shouldn't need to create XML metrics files for Times or
Courier, as they're in the BASE-14[1].

[1]
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.20.5/fonts.html#Base-14+Fonts

Clay Leeds
the.webmaestro@gmail.com

-- HH Dalai Lama of Tibet

 Yahoo! Mail

Re: TTFreader not able to convert barcode font into XML

Posted by Web Maestro Clay <th...@gmail.com>.