Posted to dev@carbondata.apache.org by Erlu Chen <ch...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/16 09:14:45 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Update the function of show segments

Hi, dev

Currently, I am thinking about the function of show segments. We can see
segments of carbon table by executing this command, but it can only return
segmentId, status, load start time and load end time, and all this
information is from tablestatus, which I think it may be not enough for
users to know better about the situation of each segment, so now I want to
add two parameters, one is the number of carbon data file under segment
folder, another is the number of carbon index file under segment folder.

Any suggestion about my idea ?

Welcome to communicate.

Regards.
Chenerlu.

Re: [DISCUSSION] Update the function of show segments

Posted by Erlu Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.
Yeah. agree with ravi.

We can keep both "Show segments"  and "Show extended segment" .

@xuchuanyin, as i know currently the result of show segment is formatted.

Posted by xuchuanyin <xu...@126.com>.
If adding a new statement, I suggest to learn from hive:
desc formatted table_name;
VS
desc table_name;

Show segment...
VS
Show formatted segment...

On 09/21/2017 14:02, Ravindra Pesala wrote:
Hi,

I agree with Jacky and David.
But it is suggested to keep current 'show segments' command without any
change and provide only brief information about segments.
Add new extended command like `extended show segments` to provide more
information which is required for power user.

Regards, only
Ravindra.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Ravi

Re: [DISCUSSION] Update the function of show segments

Posted by Ravindra Pesala <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
Thanks & Regards,
Ravi

Re: [DISCUSSION] Update the function of show segments

Posted by Jacky Li <ja...@qq.com>.
I think it is good to have this feature, it may help user to decide whether manual compaction is needed.

Instead of outputting number of carbon index file per segment, I suggest output data size of the segment is more helpful.

Regards,
Jacky

Posted by Raghunandan S <ca...@gmail.com>.