Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by "Damon E. Sorrentino" <de...@idearesources.com> on 2003/08/08 22:53:03 UTC

Component Tracing Service

One thing WebSphere 5.0 supports is a diagnostic tracing service that
administrators and developers can enable or disable at the component
level. For example, WebSphere has an HTTP_Transport component with
several public classes:

com.ibm.ws.http.ChunkedInputStream
com.ibm.ws.http.ContentLengthInputStream
com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection
com.ibm.ws.http.HttpRequest
com.ibm.ws.http.HttpResponse
.
.
.

The administrator or developer can then enable certain types of tracing
within each class, i.e. entry/exit, event, and debug traces, through
their administration console web application. You can enable any
combination of these trace types.

This type of functionality proves useful when trying to run different
J2EE applications inside multiple application servers.

-damon

Re: Component Tracing Service

Posted by Robert McIntosh <ro...@bull-enterprises.com>.
Now we are talking! I've been wanting to use the instrumentation stuff
in our Avalon-based product for a while but just haven't gotten around
to it and didn't want to tie into it too directly. I'll catch up with on
the Avalon lists... however it would still be cool for a J2EE server as
well :-)

Robert

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Robert McIntosh wrote:

> Now, if the J2EE container used this (or a similiar) system in a
> non-intrusive way, say via interceptors ala JBoss, that would be really
> nice. You could have the turn on/off feature and not have to implement
> or extend any classes/interfaces. Would make a nice addition to an admin
> console as well.

Completely doable!

The whole API was designed to have little or no impact if there is no
Instrumentation Manager available, or no client connected.  It uses the
same principles as the Logger interfaces in JDK 1.4/Log4J/LogKit tools
to skip the overhead as early as possible.

If you're interested, I can help you with the integration.  The
InstrumentationManager supports pluggable "transports" to connect to
clients, so if you want to make the manager connect with something other
than AltRMI, I can do my best to help.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: Component Tracing Service

Posted by "Damon E. Sorrentino" <de...@idearesources.com>.
The way it is non-intrusive in WAS 5.0 is you have to specifically
enable tracing inside the application server. Once you do that, you
then enable the tracing on the various components.

With tracing enabled, it then produces it's own log file called
"tracing.log", or whatever name you want to call it.

You could either have it configurable through an admin console or
configurable through editing raw XML configuration documents, whichever
the user prefers. You could also have some command line shell
environment that enables you to switch on/off configuration variables
on the fly. That way things configurations can be scripted.

-damon

Posted by "Damon E. Sorrentino" <de...@idearesources.com>.
It's on the WishList.

Posted by Robert McIntosh <ro...@bull-enterprises.com>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Re: What is Elba ???

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
I could say 'RTFM' :)

The elba site explains it. Elba is to be an open source J2EE server. 3.2.2
is a fork of JBoss, but over time it will move to using Geronimo
components until it is 100% Geronimo, in which case it will release a
final version and die.

Hen

What is Elba ???

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Damon,

Feel free to add such things to the WishList page.

See: http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ApacheJ2EE/WishList

	--- Noel