Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ma...@idraprince.com on 2003/03/28 14:17:08 UTC

Memory Woes

Hello,

Has anyone had any memory issues when running Tomcat in a production
environment where it stays up for weeks?  I have a webapp that is fairly
intense, using the Struts framework (which is great, by the way!)  with
streaming data to sockets and database logging to mySQL.  I have several of
these apps running in one Tomcat installation.

My problem is that memory usage keeps steadily creeping up on me until I start
getting the dreaded java.lang.OutOfMemoryError (or something like that).

I bumped up the memory settings for the JVM memory settings, which simply
delays the problem, but it still happens. (-Xmx... )

I have also profiled the application, and found that after garbage collection
all of my objects go back to the original usage levels (as far as instances). None of them are continually appending to a string or anything like that... mainly just state information.

I'm not sure where to go from here - having to occasionally restart Tomcat
once a month is not a workable solution for me.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Mark

Re: Memory Woes

Posted by Mark Pease <mp...@chartermi.net>.
Jake - you are a genius!  I reverted back to 1.4.0_03 and the memory leak
problem seems to have gone away.  I am heavily dependent on StringBuffers
for generating XML, so this bug was really causing problems.

Thanks for your time!
Mark

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.

Re: Memory Woes