Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by William Brogden <wb...@bga.com> on 2001/08/04 13:49:06 UTC

Re: strange problem

Vikram Chiruvolu wrote:

> With SOAP 2.2, Xerces 1.3.1, Tomcat 3.23, Apache 1.3,
> and NTS 4 ...  I've worked through all the issues &
> have my server responding properly from the browser,
> that it only reponds to POST requests.  Now when I try
> to test my client install on the server itself by
> executing locally:
>
> java org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient
> http://localhost:8080/soap/servlet/messagerouter  list
>
> where CLASSPATH =
> E:\soap-bin-2.2\soap-2_2\lib\soap.jar;E:\Xerces\xerces-1_3_1\xerces.jar;E:\javamail\javamail-1.2\mail.jar;E:\jaf-1.0.1\activation.jar;E:\bsf-2_2\lib\bsf.jar;E:\rhino\js.jar
> org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient list
>
> ..... and I get this strange error, not mentioned in
> the Troubleshooting guide.......
>
> Exception in thread "main" [SOAPException:
> faultCode=SOAP-ENV:Client; msg=A
> 'http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/:Fault'
> element must contain a: 'faultcode' element.;
> targetException=java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: A
> 'http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/:Fault'
> element must contain a: 'faultcode' element.]
>         at
> org.apache.soap.rpc.Call.invoke(Call.java:246)
>         at

 That is an error message from the client which is concealing
the real problem - for some reason the server is sending back
a plain HTML error message. Probably your request did not
go all the way through to messagerouter.

 Use the tcptunnel or similar utility that lets you
see the exact text of the request and response.
I have written a utility "UtilSnoop" that will do this - see:
http://www.lanw.com/books/javasoap/default.htm

--
WBB - wbrogden@lanw.com
Java Cert mock exams http://www.lanw.com/java/javacert/