Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org> on 2008/06/07 15:24:54 UTC

Web site refactoring proposal

Hi guys,

today, I tried to find a link on MINA web site to the JIRA. I didn't
found it (ok, it may exist, but then it's buried on the other corner of
the internet ;). The very same for many other resources like sources,
svn links, sub projects links, etc...

I also found that the JIRA key for MINA is DIRMINA. MINA was a Directory
subproject two years ago, but now, I think it's time to rename this to
MINA, no ?

Otherwise, I would also suggest some refactoring of the main site. Here
is some proposal :

existing menus :

* Overview
  - Features
  - Testimonials
  - Documentation
  - Performance
  - Downloads
  - Road Map
  - Faq
* Community
  - contact
  - Contributors
  - Related projects
* Sponsorship
  - Donations
  - Thanks
  - Sponsorship
  - Contributing

proposal :
* Latest downloads (People usually go to the web site to download the
latest version, it's good to give them a direct link)
  - 1.0.10
  - 1.1.7
  - 2.0-M1
* Overview
  - Features
  - Documentation
  - Road Map
* Resources
  - Articles
  - Mailing List & IRC
  - Issue Tracking
  - Sources
  - Wiki
  - Conferences
  - Related projects
  - Testimonies
  - How to contribute
* Community (I removed the Donations because the project don't accept
donations. It has been changed to Thanks).
  - Team
  - License
  - Thanks
  - ASF sponsors
  - Sponsorship program

IMHO, it would make things much easier to find for users and contributors.

Last, not least, we might want to add some pointers to the AsycWeb and
FTPServer subprojects, for instance on the top right menu (cf what we
have on http://directory.apache.org)

wdyt ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Web site refactoring proposal

Posted by peter royal <pe...@pobox.com>.
On Jun 7, 2008, at 6:24 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> IMHO, it would make things much easier to find for users and
> contributors.
>
> Last, not least, we might want to add some pointers to the AsycWeb
> and FTPServer subprojects, for instance on the top right menu (cf
> what we have on http://directory.apache.org)
>
> wdyt ?

go for it! :)

-pete

--
(peter.royal|osi)@pobox.com - http://fotap.org/~osi

Re: Web site refactoring proposal

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 3:24 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Otherwise, I would also suggest some refactoring of the main site. Here is
>> some proposal :
>>

> While we're at it, why not get a similar download page as ActiveMQ
> got, it's a beaty:
> http://activemq.apache.org/activemq-510-release.html
>
> /niklas

I like the Sub-Project menu. It's way better in ActiveMQ site than in
ADS site.

About the download page, we can greatly improve what we have, sure, and
taking inspiration from ActiveMQ might be a good idea.

Otherwise, I really find the ActiveMQ menu absolutely overcrowded... I
remember having been told '5 to 7 items max' ... :)

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr>.
On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 16:25:57 +0200
Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 3:24 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny
> > <el...@apache.org> wrote:
> >> Otherwise, I would also suggest some refactoring of the main site.
> >> Here is some proposal :
> >>

> > While we're at it, why not get a similar download page as ActiveMQ
> > got, it's a beaty:
> > http://activemq.apache.org/activemq-510-release.html
> >
> > /niklas
> >

> Any objection if I whip a quick refactoring of MINA web site, just to
> get something like this :
>
> *Latest Downloads*
>   Mina 2.0.0-M3
>   Mina 1.1.7