Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ar...@aa.eps.jhu.edu on 2003/01/08 15:29:01 UTC

[users@httpd] Running httpd on Solaris 8

Thanks to Owen Boyle for his advice, which solved all problems
my Solaris 9 machine, and one of the problem on the Solaris 8
machine, on which I still get the error,

  [Mon Jan 06 19:40:27 2003] [crit] (2)No such file or directory:
  Digest: error generating secret: No such file or directory
  Configuration Failed

when I execute apachectl start.

Both machines have httpd-2.0.43 installed, with identical httpd.conf,
and both show the existence of the following files:

  /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_auth_digest.so
  /usr/local/apache2/bin/htdigest

I do not know why httpd starts in one machine and not the other.
What could be missing in the Solaris 8?

Al Arking

Re: [users@httpd] Running httpd on Solaris 8

Posted by Tim Wort <ti...@pobox.com>.
This may or may not be the problem but to answer the question, Solaris 9
includes /dev/random and /dev/urandom device drives used for various
seeding fuctions by crypto software. Solaris 8 does not. You can patch
Solaris 8 to add these devices using patch 112438-xx (always use the
latest rev (the xx) ))

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 arking@aa.eps.jhu.edu wrote:

> Thanks to Owen Boyle for his advice, which solved all problems
> my Solaris 9 machine, and one of the problem on the Solaris 8
> machine, on which I still get the error,
>
>   [Mon Jan 06 19:40:27 2003] [crit] (2)No such file or directory:
>   Digest: error generating secret: No such file or directory
>   Configuration Failed
>
> when I execute apachectl start.
>
> Both machines have httpd-2.0.43 installed, with identical httpd.conf,
> and both show the existence of the following files:
>
>   /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_auth_digest.so
>   /usr/local/apache2/bin/htdigest
>
> I do not know why httpd starts in one machine and not the other.
> What could be missing in the Solaris 8?
>
> Al Arking

=        Inkling Research Inc.      =
=    Tim.Wort@InklingResearch.com   =