Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Thomas Mullins <ts...@wise.k12.va.us> on 2007/06/22 15:12:05 UTC

Calling Spamassassin

Just curios to see how people call SA?  And, why did you choose one
method over another?  We have been using Amavisd to call SA for the last
three or four years.  Recently, I have tried out the daemonized version
of SA.

Shane

Re: Calling Spamassassin

Posted by Bazooka Joe <fa...@gmail.com>.
sendmail -> spamass-milter -> spamd - because I needed to be a
spam/virus filter relay for other mail servers.  Also, I like being
able to reject mail if  SA deems it spam.  That way if it is a false
positive then the sender is aware that the end user did not get the
mail instead of going into a spam folder that no one ever checks.

Re: Calling Spamassassin

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
procmail

Because it was simple and it was there.
Now because it doesn't do any of the undesireable (by me) default actions
of the newer tools and I don't have time to learn to configure them more
intelligently.

If it works, don't fix it.

(I also use procmail to do some pretty stupid things - like play a
distinctive sound file when I receive email from certain customers
as an alert.)

{^_^}
Posted by Mark Martinec <Ma...@ijs.si>.
> Also, that way outgoing mail is not driven thru SpamAssassin,
> which is good.

Depends. In my experience it is not good.

Running outgoing mail through SpamAssassin has some advantages:
- prevents internal infected/zombiized hosts from spewing their stuff;
- presents quality examples of ham to bayes auto-learning;
- makes possible to add a few negative score points to incoming replies
  to a previous outbound message (amavisd pen pals feature);

Mark

Re: Calling Spamassassin

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.
>Just curios to see how people call SA?  And, why did you choose one method over
>another?  We have been using Amavisd to call SA for the last three or four years.
>Recently, I have tried out the daemonized version of SA.

Using spamd, and spamc from /etc/maildroprc

That way I can use different whitelist mechanisms by maildrop's scripting mechanisms.

Also, that way outgoing mail is not driven thru SpamAssassin, which is good.