Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/05/02 22:29:17 UTC

Results from AOO 4.0 Logo Poll

The survey ran for a week,and received over 5000 responses.  I wrote
up the results, along with some charts, and put them here:

http://survey.openoffice.org/reports/aoo40-logo-poll/

It is rather long and detailed, so I'll take a subset of that content
and spin it into a blog post over the next week or two.

If there is an approach to analysis that I missed, let me know.  It is
easy for me to create additional tables or charts.

If any designer wants to receive the user comments on their logo let
me know the logo number and I'll send them to you.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Results from AOO 4.0 Logo Poll

Posted by Alphonso Whitfield III <aw...@vital-inet.com>.
Thanks for the stats and analysis , I would recommend a "playoff" of the top five and then choose a final two from that group to come up with a definitive selection.

Plan Your Work and Work Your Plan
with The Vital Portal

Alphonso Whitfield
info@thevitalportal.com
Vital
912-816-2595
Skype: vital.i.net

Visit us at:
The Vital Portal

The Vital Portal On facebook

Visit our Google Community

Join our Vital Portal Webinars at:
The Vital Portal WebEx Meeting Center .

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.
Great. We can have another voting whether to chose form most liked one or
dislike one

With Warm Regards

V.Kadal Amutham
919444360480
914422396480

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.
Amazing!

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.
Amazing!

Posted by Albino B Neto <bi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alphonso Whitfield III <aw...@vital-inet.com>.
I can set up a page to compile the voting stats etc. If I had been able to participate more actively earlier I could had provided one for the larger logo voting and assessment.

I can have it ready by 10 pm EDT USA if you like Rob? Please advise.

You are the ringleader of this effort please provide some guidance and I can knock it out.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Michael Acevedo <ve...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Saw the feedback on proposals 12 and 13, I will put the capitals in the
> word OpenOffice and look how can I improve the positioning of the Apache
> name. I was hoping that the non-capitalized version would gain traction
> given that part of the inspiration was drawn from when I write
> www.openoffice.org on my browser address bar...

Thanks.  I think it is good to "think out loud" now and share what
we're learning from the comments.

> When would the amended logo be needed?

If possible, let's aim for the end of this week.

-Rob

Posted by Michael Acevedo <ve...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> >> Next steps?  As far as the survey goes, I think I'm done.  We have a
> >> heap of data.  I tried to make some sense of it.  But it now is for
> >> the designers to take all this feedback and create one or more revised
> >> designs.  Of the top scoring logos, two were from Kevin Grignon, one
> >> from Samer Mansour, two from Michael Acevedo and one from someone I
> >> haven't seen on the mailing list, but whose entry on the wiki was from
> >> "Chris R."
> >>
> >> Maybe it makes sense in the next round to aim for one design per
> >> designer?  If so, we can probably narrow it down to 3 or 4 choices,
> >> which we can either poll users again for, or just have a vote of
> >> project participants.
> >>
> >> There isn't much time yet, so could I suggest we aim for having the
> >> revisions done for next Friday, May 10th?  Aim for 400 pixels wide,
> >> PNG with white or transparent background.

Best,
Michael

Re: Results from AOO 4.0 Logo Poll

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Albino B Neto <bi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On May 6, 2013, at 10:44 AM, Donald Whytock wrote:

> On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 12:16 AM, Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I personally wouldn't lose any time redesigning the visual identity UNLESS
>> the new design is clearly superior with the old one, and there's concensus
>> that there's SOMETHING WRONG with the old one to begin with.
>>

> Well, a woman did say a bit back that the seagulls were similar to what's
> used on a feminine hygeine product...

The same was said about the iPad.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 12:16 AM, Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 4:29 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> The survey ran for a week,and received over 5000 responses.  I wrote
>> up the results, along with some charts, and put them here:
>>
>> http://survey.openoffice.org/reports/aoo40-logo-poll/
>>

> When I wanted to vote, it was over already.

It wasn't a vote.  It was an opinion poll.  We ran for over a week and
received over 5000 responses.  I'm sorry we missed your entry.

> I personally wouldn't lose any time redesigning the visual identity UNLESS
> the new design is clearly superior with the old one, and there's concensus
> that there's SOMETHING WRONG with the old one to begin with.
>
> You don't see corporations changing their logos very much, if at all,
> sometimes, it can have disastrous results. Why change something has very
> positive brand recognition?.

If you recall, we already changed the brand in AOO 3.4.  It was called
OpenOffice.org previously.  With the move to Apache the name was
changed to Apache OpenOffice.  So OO 3.4 had a new logo.   AOO 4.0 is
a major release and it makes sense to refresh the logo here as well.

> If it's a minor restyling, maybe, but even small changes can have
> disastrous results.
> Think New Coke

Again, we already changed the logo in AOO 3.4.  Was that a disaster?

The comparison with Coca-Cola is not a very good one.  They have
nearly 100% recognition globally.  We have maybe 10% name recognition.
 And Coke is changing their brand elements constantly.  Look at their
cans, for example.   And then look at Microsoft Office, and how they
constantly refresh their logo.

And remember, the Coke logo is old enough to have a classic look.
Our design doesn't look classic.  It doesn't have that timeless
elegance.  It just looks old.  There is a difference.

> Of couse, I'm the minority in this view and if you've gone so far I suspect
> you're going to change it anyway.

Again, we changed the logo in AOO 3.4.  With a AOO 4.0 release we'll
change it again.  How big or small the change is -- that remains to be
seen.  At the very least we need to remove the "3.4" from it, right?

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Getting a feel for how to make changes directly.  In the meantime...
>
> 1st para: "whether the respondant was current user" -> "whether the
> respondant was a current user"
>
> "80's or 90's" -> "80s or 90s"
>
> "5=Strongly Dislike" -> "5=Strongly Like" (2 places)
>
> "shows, there are a few logos" -> "shows, while there are a few logos"
> or
> "users, at the top of the scale" -> "users, while at the top of the scale"
> or possibly
> "users, at the top of the scale" -> "users; at the top of the scale"

Thanks.  I made those changes.

> An afterthought...Would it be worth seeing the comments for some of the
> other logos too?  Especially, perhaps, for those that hit high on the
> Strongly Dislike?

I've read through the comments on the most disliked logos, and I can
say there is very little constructive feedback there.  Much of it is
crude attempts at humor, but it often borders on ridicule or crosses
over into outright profanity.  I'd hesitate to publish anonymous
comments that would, if posted by any of us, be outside of the list's
conduct guidelines.

On the other hand I'm happy to share comments on any logo via private
email to anyone who is interested in seeing the detailed comments.

-Rob

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.