Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by ruchi goel <Ru...@Sun.COM> on 2007/05/14 07:15:38 UTC

Use of Jackrabbit in commercial product and scalability numbers for Jackrabbit w/w/o RMI

Hi ,
  I would like to know if anyone is using Jackrabbit in live
commercial/OS   project/product .

Also , does anyone have any scalability numbers for Jackrabbit,
preferably with RMI.

Appreciate your reply.

Thanks,
Ruchi

Re: Use of Jackrabbit in commercial product and scalability numbers for Jackrabbit w/w/o RMI

Posted by Martin Perez <mp...@gmail.com>.
That's very true.

You can do the same over http with just some input/output stream bridging.
Have tried it, and it's quite performing, and also you can move massive
chunks of data with a very small heap.

Martin

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Dominique de Waleffe <do...@denali.be>.
It works ok for the load it has to cope with, but I cannot say that the
server is stressed by the number of operations [it basically serves
large files (videos)] and the site does not have the load of youtube...
I cannot tell you the numbers however (NDA).

In the tests I have done, bandwidth is the limiting factor and I did not
try to stress jackrabbit on its own, but it never was the limiting factor.

D.

Re: Use of Jackrabbit in commercial product and scalability numbers for Jackrabbit w/w/o RMI

Posted by ruchi goel <Ru...@Sun.COM>.
Dominique de Waleffe wrote:
> The content repository of the player at www.freecaster.com is using
> jackrabbit. It is deployed as an RMI server providing data to a
> webobjects application.
>
> D.
Hi Dominique,
   How does it perform on RMI ? Do you have any statistics for this ?

Posted by Dominique de Waleffe <do...@denali.be>.

--
Dominique de Waleffe
Technical director

Denali S.A., "Bridging the gap between Business and IT"
Rue de Clairvaux 8, B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
Office: +32 10 43 99 51 Fax: +32 10 43 99 52
http://www.denali.be

Legal notice: this message and its attachments may contain
confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the
addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must
not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this message or
any information herein. If you have received this message by mistake,
please advise the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this
message from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

Re: Use of Jackrabbit in commercial product and scalability numbers for Jackrabbit w/w/o RMI

Posted by Willis Morse <wi...@mac.com>.
On May 14, 2007, at 1:15 AM, ruchi goel wrote:

> Hi ,
>  I would like to know if anyone is using Jackrabbit in live
> commercial/OS   project/product .

We're embedding it into a desktop app as the datastore for a single-
user local desktop product. If this works out well, we'll try adding
a network layer to open it up for workgroup collaboration.

So far the big benefit for us has been developer time savings.
Jackrabbit does so much for you in regards to dependancy tracking and
versioning and XPath searching; we would never have been able to
implement a decent solution in the amount of time that we have.

Our datastores aren't huge, however, so I can't attest to the
scalability.

- Willis Morse

Re: Use of Jackrabbit in commercial product and scalability numbers for Jackrabbit w/w/o RMI

Posted by Alexandru Popescu ☀ <th...@gmail.com>.
On 5/14/07, Patrick Haggood <co...@email.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 12:56 +0300, Alexandru Popescu ☀ wrote:
> > On 5/14/07, ruchi goel <Ru...@sun.com> wrote:
> > > Hi ,
> > >   I would like to know if anyone is using Jackrabbit in live
> > > commercial/OS   project/product .
> > InfoQ.com is built on top of Jackrabbit.
> > ./alex
>
> Alex, which deployment model do you use?
>
> http://jackrabbit.apache.org/doc/deploy.html

Model 1 (embedded), due to various reasons including the way I have
structured the application.

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.

Re: Use of Jackrabbit in commercial product and scalability numbers for Jackrabbit w/w/o RMI

Posted by Patrick Haggood <co...@email.com>.

Posted by Alexandru Popescu ☀ <th...@gmail.com>.
On 5/14/07, ruchi goel <Ru...@sun.com> wrote:
> Hi ,
>   I would like to know if anyone is using Jackrabbit in live
> commercial/OS   project/product .

InfoQ.com is built on top of Jackrabbit.

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.
________________________
  Alexandru Popescu
 Senior Software Eng.
InfoQ TechLead&CoFounder

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 5/14/07, ruchi goel <Ru...@sun.com> wrote:
> Jukka Zitting wrote:
> > What sort of scalability are you interested in? Number of nodes, total
> > amount of content, number of (concurrent) users, perfromance under
> > load, ...
>
> Will be interested in as many I can get .

We unfortunately don't have very organized scalability/performance
test suites in place to give very specific numbers, but I've seen
successful load tests that go up to tens of millions of nodes and
terabytes of content per workspace.

Jackrabbit also performs quite well on concurrent read access thanks
to the aggressive read caching that takes place at the item state
manager level.

However, under the item state managers all persistent content accesses
are currently serialized (see JCR-314), which causes a bottleneck for
heavily concurrent write loads and read loads with widely distributed
access patterns.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Use of Jackrabbit in commercial product and scalability numbers for Jackrabbit w/w/o RMI

Posted by ruchi goel <Ru...@Sun.COM>.
Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 5/14/07, ruchi goel <Ru...@sun.com> wrote:
>> I would like to know if anyone is using Jackrabbit in live
>> commercial/OS project/product .
>
> I guess there are already quite a few people doing so. See the JCR
> Links page on the Jackrabbit wiki for some commercial applications
> based on Jackrabbit.

Thanks
>> Also , does anyone have any scalability numbers for Jackrabbit,
>> preferably with RMI.
>
> What sort of scalability are you interested in? Number of nodes, total
> amount of content,
> number of (concurrent) users, perfromance under load, ...

Will be interested in as many I can get .

-Ruchi

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,