Posted to websh-dev@tcl.apache.org by Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch> on 2002/04/09 14:56:43 UTC

Quickref content proposal

I worked on a readable content version for the quick reference. How
about something like the following?

    Introduction
	General remarks
	About this document
	<there should probably be more stuff here>

    Configuration
	web::config

    Command dispatching
	web::command
	web::getcommand
	web::cmdurl
	web::cmdurlcfg
	web::dispatch

    Session management and Context handling
	web::context
	web::filecounter
	web::filecontext
	web::cookiecontext
	Session context plug-in interface (Tcl)
	    web::sessioncontextfactory

    Request data handling
	web::request
	web::param
	web::formvar

    Response data handling
	web::response
	web::put
	web::putx
	web::putxfile

    Logging
	web::logdest
	    (File
	    Syslog
	    Command
	    Channel
	    Apache) : these are described in there, but not visible in
	              the content
	web::logfilter
	web::log
	Log plug-in interface (C)

    File handling and file I/O
	web::include
	web::readfile
	web::lockfile
	web::unlockfile
	web::truncatefile

    Data encryption
	web::encrypt
	web::decrypt
	web::encryptd
	web::decryptd
	web::cryptdkey
	Encryption plug-in interface (Tcl)
	    (web::list2uri
	    web::uri2list) : they could be documented since they
	    represent the default behavior when no plug-in is defined

    Uri-/html- en-/decoding
	web::htmlify
	web::dehtmlify
	web::uriencode
	web::uridecode

    Inter-process/-system communication
	web::send
	web::recv
	web::msgflag

    Apache module specific commands
	web::initializer
	web::finalizer
	web::dofinalize
	web::maineval
	web::interpclasscfg
	web::interpcfg

    Miscellaneous commands
	web::match
	web::tempfile

    How to ...

	Use command dispatching
	Use Websh in CGI mode
	Set up mod_websh
	Run applications in mod_websh
	Run mod_websh in ASP/SSI mode

       <very nice to have>

Notes:
+ commands are easier to find (because its (almost) the only thing in
  the contents
+ clearly structured
- not so easy to put general descriptions. Intent: have such a section
  at the beginning of every main chapter
- No more Examples referenced in the Contents section (however they
  made no sense anyway since it was not clear what they illustrated)
- The new chapters (i.e. "How to ...") have no content yet, which
  means more work than not to document the stuff ;-(

Opinions?

Re: Quickref content proposal

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch> writes:

> I worked on a readable content version for the quick reference. How
> about something like the following?

That's more or less what I see now, minus the examples...

> Notes:
> + commands are easier to find (because its (almost) the only thing in
>   the contents

> + clearly structured

> - not so easy to put general descriptions. Intent: have such a
> section at the beginning of every main chapter

> - No more Examples referenced in the Contents section (however they
>   made no sense anyway since it was not clear what they illustrated)

> - The new chapters (i.e. "How to ...") have no content yet, which
>   means more work than not to document the stuff ;-(

Sounds good.  Working on the catalogs stuff...

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/