Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by CC CHEN <cc...@fsd.com.my> on 2006/06/12 12:39:22 UTC

[users@httpd] Pease help with mod_deflate configuration

Greeting,

I have put in the deflate function in the httpd.conf as below.
During testing, the compression is working when I access my web page from internal IP address e.g.:http://x.x.x.x.
Anyway when I access the web page using domain name e.g.: http://my.web.com, the compression is not working by looking at the apache access log.

Can anyone help me to figure what is wrong with my httpd.conf file. Thank you.

############### httpd.conf
<Location />
# Insert filter

# HTTP COMPRESSION
SetOutputFilter DEFLATE

# Netscape 4.x has some problems...
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
# Netscape 4.06-4.08 have some more problems
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip
# MSIE masquerades as Netscape, but it is fine
# BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
# NOTE: Due to a bug in mod_setenvif up to Apache 2.0.48
# the above regex won't work. You can use the following
# workaround to get the desired effect:
BrowserMatch \bMSI[E] !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
# Don't compress images
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \
\.(?:gif|jpe?g|png)$ no-gzip dont-vary

# Make sure proxies don't deliver the wrong content
#Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary
</Location>
###########################

[users@httpd] Apache 2.2, tomcat 5.0.28 and mod_proxy_ajp

Posted by Pieter Bolle <pi...@encima.be>.
I had to set up a a name based virtual host on a server. The JSP-files
of this server should be served by Tomcat, any other file should be
served by Apache. Therefore, I wrote this configuration:

<VirtualHost *:80>

        ServerName domain.be
        ServerAlias www.domain.be
        ServerAdmin hosting@encima.be
        DocumentRoot /home/domain.be/public_html
        RewriteEngine on
	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} /(.*)(\.jsp|\.do|j_security_check)$
	RewriteRule ^/(.*) ajp://localhost/$1 [P]

        <Directory /home/domain.be/public_html/WEB-INF/>
           AllowOverride None
           Deny from all
        </Directory>

</VirtualHost>

With this configuration I cannot login to a admin section protected with j_security_check. When I log in, I'm redirected to http://www.theserverside.com/discussions/thread.tss?thread_id=32033 I was wondering if this is actually the good way to set up things?
If I point my browser to http://www.domain.be/j_security_check, then I receive a login page. Does anyone know what problem occurs here?

Kind regards,
Pieter Bolle

Apache 2.2, tomcat 5.0.28 and mod_proxy_ajp

Posted by Pieter Bolle <pi...@encima.be>.
I had to set up a a name based virtual host on a server. The JSP-files
of this server should be served by Tomcat, any other file should be
served by Apache. Therefore, I wrote this configuration:

<VirtualHost *:80>

        ServerName domain.be
        ServerAlias www.domain.be
        ServerAdmin hosting@encima.be
        DocumentRoot /home/domain.be/public_html
        RewriteEngine on
	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} /(.*)\.jsp$
	RewriteRule ^/(.*) ajp://localhost/$1 [P]

        <Directory /home/domain.be/public_html/WEB-INF/>
           AllowOverride None
           Deny from all
        </Directory>

</VirtualHost>

Actually, this works fine, but I was wondering if this is really the
good way, as documentation about this matter seems to be rather thin.
Anyone suggestions?

Kind regards,
Pieter Bolle

[users@httpd] chopped SSI document

Posted by Viktoras Didziulis <vi...@ekoinf.net>.
Hi!

I am experiencing strange behavior of shtml document. It is loaded partially
and the document is chopped when encounters #if expr="$QUERY_STRING='' "
directive. The same document works without any problems with my hosting
provider. And it used to work with previous versions of Apache. But when I
try loading it on my upgraded Apache 2 servers both on Linux or Windows it
gets chopped. What's even more embarrassing - it does not record any error
into error logs (and they are not set to nul ;-) ), although previously it
complained about "$QUERY_STRING=''" several times. I suspect there is a
problem with my httpd.conf but where ? What could cause such a behavior of
SSI? Is there any other way to specify expression that QUERY_STRING is empty
?

Thanks in advance !
And thanks William for your help on logs!
Viktoras

Re: [users@httpd] disable logs on Windows

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
loglevel crit

the name you are looking for on windows is 'nul' not '/dev/null' (which rudely
and promisciously exists in every real directory, so if you mkdir \dev, well...)

Re: [users@httpd] Pease help with mod_deflate configuration

Posted by CC CHEN <cc...@fsd.com.my>.
Finally i got the reason what cause the deflate cannot work. Emmanuel E U r right that the proxy is not http 1.1 compliant.

>From the log i can see that when I access the page with proxy :
10.150.1.111 [07/Jun/2006:14:43:08 +0800] "GET /beta/public/Page.do?mode=MAIN HTTP/1.0" 200 16889 - - (-)

And this is the msg when i access the page withouy proxy:
211.24.150.131 [07/Jun/2006:14:46:24 +0800] "GET /beta/public/Page.do?mode=MAIN HTTP/1.1" 200 3457 3439 16917 (20)

Thanks alot for your help again and again.

Posted by CC CHEN <cc...@fsd.com.my>.

        #
[...]

          ServerName 172.18.20.23

        #####################################

Posted by CC CHEN <cc...@fsd.com.my>.

Posted by CC CHEN <cc...@fsd.com.my>.
Here are my original httpd.conf which is working using IP  but not domain name.

[...]

  SSLCertificateFile /usr/local/ssl/CA/server/certificates/server.crt
  SSLCertificateKeyFile /usr/local/ssl/CA/server/keys/server.key

Posted by CC CHEN <cc...@fsd.com.my>.
Hi,

Posted by CC CHEN <cc...@fsd.com.my>.
Hi,