Posted to user@ambari.apache.org by Roshan Punnoose <ro...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/06 19:31:24 UTC

SSL issue

I have a cluster of about 6 nodes, half of which suddenly cannot connect to
my ambari-server at https://<ambari-server>:8440. The others can connect
and heartbeat without an issue.

I noticed that if I run: openssl s_client -connect <host>:8440, it doesn't
work either on the defective machines, but does work on the others.

My initial thought is that the ambari-server and agent certs have diverged,
and the agent cert needs to be resigned. I know during the host
registration period, the server will sign the client cert; however, I am
performing manual registration of my hosts, is that still the case?

Roshan

Re: SSL issue

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@hortonworks.com>.
Thanks Roshan!

Mahadev Konar
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 10:59 PM, Roshan Punnoose <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No worries. As I kept plugging away it seemed to be more of a cert/ssl issue
> between certain nodes. I am in the process of moving the ambari server over
> to a new node, and already it seems like the problematic nodes have no
> trouble connect with openssl "openssl s_client --connect ..." with the new
> node. I'm not sure what could have caused nodes to not be able to connect to
> the previous ambari-server. However, if I do see the error again, I'll
> repost.
>

> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 1:41 AM, Mahadev Konar <ma...@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Roshan,
>>   Sorry for my late response on this. What error do you see on the
>> agents that have issues? Also can you post your amabri server configs?
>>

>> thanks
>> mahadev
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 10:24 PM, Roshan Punnoose <ro...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Is there anyway I can turn off ssl connections between the server and
>> > agents? So that it always uses http, instead of https?

>> --
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>> that
>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender
>> immediately

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: SSL issue

Posted by Roshan Punnoose <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: SSL issue

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@hortonworks.com>.
Roshan,

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: SSL issue

Posted by Roshan Punnoose <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: SSL issue

Posted by Roshan Punnoose <ro...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

The symptoms looks like it could be a time sync issue. Could you confirm
that you ve got ntp running across all your servers?

Thanks
Olivier
On 9 Dec 2013 01:51, "Roshan Punnoose" <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, as a side thought. If I back up the ambari-server and move the data
> to another server, does that force hosts reregistering and resigning certs
> when the new ambari server comes up?
>

> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 10:17 PM, Roshan Punnoose <ro...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Ambari 1.4.1 from HDP 2
>> On Dec 6, 2013 7:40 PM, "Mahadev Konar" <ma...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Roshan,
>>>  What version of ambari are you using?
>>>
>>> mahadev
>>> Mahadev Konar
>>> Hortonworks Inc.
>>> http://hortonworks.com/

>>> connect to
>>> connect and

>>> doesn't

>>> diverged,
>>> registration

>>> --
>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>>> that
>>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender
>>> immediately

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: SSL issue

Posted by Olivier Renault <or...@hortonworks.com>.
The symptoms looks like it could be a time sync issue. Could you confirm
that you ve got ntp running across all your servers?

Thanks
Olivier
On 9 Dec 2013 01:51, "Roshan Punnoose" <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, as a side thought. If I back up the ambari-server and move the data
> to another server, does that force hosts reregistering and resigning certs
> when the new ambari server comes up?
>

> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 10:17 PM, Roshan Punnoose <ro...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Ambari 1.4.1 from HDP 2
>> On Dec 6, 2013 7:40 PM, "Mahadev Konar" <ma...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Roshan,
>>>  What version of ambari are you using?
>>>
>>> mahadev
>>> Mahadev Konar
>>> Hortonworks Inc.
>>> http://hortonworks.com/

>>> connect to
>>> connect and

>>> doesn't

>>> diverged,
>>> registration

>>> --
>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>>> that
>>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender
>>> immediately

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: SSL issue

Posted by Roshan Punnoose <ro...@gmail.com>.