Posted to user@mesos.apache.org by Brian Topping <br...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/06 17:32:30 UTC

Debugging hadoop-mesos

Hi all, I'm happy to report that I'm very close to getting 2.6.0-cdh5.4.0 integrated against Mesos 0.22.1 with the hadoop-mesos 0.10 code on Github. Hoping someone might have a few minutes to parse what I've got here and suggest something to try.

https://gist.github.com/briantopping/0dfd0777ff4ce5a81219 <https://gist.github.com/briantopping/0dfd0777ff4ce5a81219> hopefully has all the data necessary between the console output of the client run, the mesos master and slave console, the XML configuration of the JT and the output that was generated by it. Please let me know if I've left something out.

I iterated a few times getting all the errors from missing paths or libraries sorted out, but the example client ultimately just sits waiting forever at "map 0% reduce 0%".

Any input kindly appreciated!

Brian

RESOLVED -- Re: Debugging hadoop-mesos

Posted by Brian Topping <br...@gmail.com>.
Ok, I stared at the code for a long time and came up with https://github.com/mesos/hadoop/pull/55 <https://github.com/mesos/hadoop/pull/55>. It probably should have been separate PRs for cleanups and method shuffling in one and the meat of the changes in another, sorry about that. The PR itself should have a decent description, please feel free to ask questions or critique it in the PR.

It seems like the build needs help with unit testing and release process. I think there's going to need to be a CI build that can build for various versions of CDH and assign the version to an artifact classifier before they can be easily managed on central. I'm happy to pitch in on these if anyone is interested. Testing this kind of code is a little tricky, but it generally results in better patterns when it's all finished.

Thanks for all of your help!! I'm looking forward to starting what I came to this stack to work on :)

Brian

Re: Debugging hadoop-mesos

Posted by Brian Topping <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: Debugging hadoop-mesos

Posted by haosdent <ha...@gmail.com>.
I think you could export HADOOP_LOG_DIR=/tmp to temp. And try again.

--
Best Regards,
Haosdent Huang

Re: Debugging hadoop-mesos

Posted by Brian Topping <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: Debugging hadoop-mesos

Posted by haosdent <ha...@gmail.com>.
You run everything in root?

--
Best Regards,
Haosdent Huang

Re: Debugging hadoop-mesos

Posted by haosdent <ha...@gmail.com>.
You could use these environments to set user.
export HADOOP_USER=test
export HADOOP_GROUP=user

And for logs, Hadoop log to ${HADOOP_HOME}/logs. I think you hadoop home is
/usr/lib/hadoop. Ignore mapred.mesos.executor.directory please.

--
Best Regards,
Haosdent Huang

Re: Debugging hadoop-mesos

Posted by Brian Topping <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: Debugging hadoop-mesos

Posted by haosdent <ha...@gmail.com>.

--
Best Regards,
Haosdent Huang

Re: Debugging hadoop-mesos

Posted by Brian Topping <br...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Hasodent, I've updated https://gist.github.com/briantopping/311960f8e5454dbe9aab <https://gist.github.com/briantopping/311960f8e5454dbe9aab> with the output logs of what I am currently seeing. I've edited them for size, the message "INFO org.apache.hadoop.mapred.MesosScheduler: Unknown/exited TaskTracker: http://10.211.55.16:50060" appeared a few thousand times in the logs. The configuration I have is probably still broken, 50060 is a Jetty port that returns a Cloudera string when telnetting to it.

Re: Debugging hadoop-mesos

Posted by haosdent <ha...@gmail.com>.

--
Best Regards,
Haosdent Huang

Re: Debugging hadoop-mesos

Posted by Brian Topping <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: Debugging hadoop-mesos

Posted by Brian Topping <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: Debugging hadoop-mesos

Posted by Brian Topping <br...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Tom! I do see activity in the cluster:

1. mesos-master.WARNING log -- sequence of repeat messages being generated:

> W0507 18:10:21.794231 11729 master.cpp:2661] Cannot kill task Task_Tracker_34 of framework 20150507-164120-272093962-5050-11711-0003 (Hadoop: (RPC port: 9001, WebUI port: 50030)) at scheduler-2fed30f4-bbbe-47a5-a587-42202c792150@10.211.55.16:35914 because it is unknown; performing reconciliation

2. The mesos-slave.WARNING log shows "W0507 17:42:50.385308 11753 slave.cpp:1783] Cannot shut down unknown framework 20150507-164120-272093962-5050-11711-0004" from about the time that the job was launched.

3. mesos-master.INFO log -- sequence of repeat messages being generated :

> I0507 18:18:40.512228 11730 master.cpp:3760] Sending 1 offers to framework 20150507-164120-272093962-5050-11711-0003 (Hadoop: (RPC port: 9001, WebUI port: 50030)) at scheduler-2fed30f4-bbbe-47a5-a587-42202c792150@10.211.55.16:35914
> I0507 18:18:40.514377 11729 master.cpp:2273] Processing ACCEPT call for offers: [ 20150507-164120-272093962-5050-11711-O556 ] on slave 20150507-164120-272093962-5050-11711-S0 at slave(1)@10.211.55.16:5051 (10.211.55.16) for framework 20150507-164120-272093962-5050-11711-0003 (Hadoop: (RPC port: 9001, WebUI port: 50030)) at scheduler-2fed30f4-bbbe-47a5-a587-42202c792150@10.211.55.16:35914
> I0507 18:18:40.515120 11729 hierarchical.hpp:648] Recovered cpus(*):6; mem(*):2803; disk(*):45148; ports(*):[31000-32000] (total allocatable: cpus(*):6; mem(*):2803; disk(*):45148; ports(*):[31000-32000]) on slave 20150507-164120-272093962-5050-11711-S0 from framework 20150507-164120-272093962-5050-11711-0003
> I0507 18:18:41.798447 11724 http.cpp:516] HTTP request for '/master/state.json'

4. mesos-slave.INFO has nothing but resource allocation messages showing current disk usage.

5. The UI shows several terminated frameworks and one active (the one above). But the detail screen for that framework says there are no active or completed tasks.

Does this help?

Re: Debugging hadoop-mesos

Posted by Tom Arnfeld <to...@duedil.com>.
Hi Brian,