Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net> on 2013/03/18 20:20:18 UTC

[DISCUSS] CloudMonkey profiles to manage multiple CS instances

Would like to get the feel of what community thinks of having "profile" abilities in CloudMonkey.

I have multiple CS instances at the moment and AFAIK I have to reconfigure CloudMonkey for each when I have to switch - when working on my desktop.

Alternative, I could probably create multiple shell users and switch between each or do some other magic like swapping config files, but it would be nice just to switch between profiles just like we do in git between branches from within CloudMonkey shell.

Your input is welcome,

Thanks
ilya

Re: [DISCUSS] CloudMonkey profiles to manage multiple CS instances

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.
Easily do-able, pass a cfg file as cmd param not sure if everyone
wants it? Like git or vim, cfg is by default local for a user in their
home folder ~/.cloudmonkey/{cache, config etc.}.

Regards.

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
Rohit,

Thank you for working on this.

FYI, please close and update CLOUDSTACK-1708.

Thank you
-ilya

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.
you rock rohit!

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 3:47 AM, Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2013, at 4:19 PM, Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 1:44 AM, Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> +1 I was actually wishing for this, this morning!
>>
>> Alright will push the change tomorrow, the fix is simple, we'll also
>> change fixed/hard-coded caching file path and add option for people to
>> configure colors (themes for cloudmonkey colored output).
>>

> Could you provide default paths ( I like the way it is right now :) )

Okay, we will keep the default in case a cfg is not passed; by default
it will be in ~/.cloudmonkey/config the way it is now.

> I don't want to provide paths of config file as param every time...
But, we can an option to pass path to cfg so people can have multiple
instances of cloudmonkey with different profile.

Cheers.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 5:54 PM, Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2013, at 7:02 AM, Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> In the latest cloudmonkey, one can pass a config file using -c <cfg
>> file> to run cloudmonkey with a different config. profile, the default
>> will be ~/.cloudmonkey/config. This would allow you to run multiple
>> cloudmonkey's with different config profiles.
>>
>> I've uploaded the latest snapshot for everyone to install, try out and
>> report any bugs, suggestions, features. Thanks.
>>
>> Usage:
>> cloudmonkey -v
>> cloudmonkey -h
>>
>> # cp ~/.cloudmonkey/config myconfig
>> # edit my config
>> cloudmonkey -c <myconfig> <cmds and args>
>>

> the cache and the log file will be common or relative to the directory you started cloud monkey in ?

Everything can be different, you can config their paths in the custom
config file or set them using:
set cache_file /path/to/specific/cache/file
set log_file <log file>

To start what you can do is, in a folder, start cloudmonkey -c myprofile.
It's okay if myprofile file does not exist, cloudmonkey will create it
for you, next you can edit this file or use set command.

I just fixed a minor issue, you should pip --upgrade or uninstall and reinstall.

Hope this helps.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
Thank you Rohit.

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
Thank you Rohit.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Mon, Mar 18, 2013, at 02:20 PM, Musayev, Ilya wrote:
> Would like to get the feel of what community thinks of having "profile"
> abilities in CloudMonkey.

+1

> Alternative, I could probably create multiple shell users and switch
> between each or do some other magic like swapping config files, but it
> would be nice just to switch between profiles just like we do in git
> between branches from within CloudMonkey shell.

That seems like a lot of hassle. :-)

Best,

jzb
--