Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Yue Helen <he...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/01 12:30:33 UTC

AOO in market

Does anyone here have some data on AOO in the overall productivity tools
market? For example, the market ratio...any report?

and, do we know how many enterprises are using Apache OpenOffice? 40M is
definitely a huge and encouraing number...but need more analysis. I guess
most are end users. Is it true? How many users among the 40M are using ODF?

I think it will be very helpful for us to know this and set up our
development objectives, and even do some user segmentation analysis if we
have this info.

Thanks.

Helen

Re: AOO in market

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 6:30 AM, Yue Helen <he...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone here have some data on AOO in the overall productivity tools
> market? For example, the market ratio...any report?

Have you seen this page on the wiki?
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Market_Share_Analysis

This report is one of the more recent ones:

http://www.webmasterpro.de/portal/news/2010/02/05/international-openoffice-market-shares.html

> and, do we know how many enterprises are using Apache OpenOffice? 40M is
> definitely a huge and encouraing number...but need more analysis. I guess

We have no way of telling.  In some cases a company or organization will
publicly announce that they have moved to OpenOffice.  Some of them are
listed in the wiki page above.  But most companies do not discuss their IT
choices publicly.

> most are end users. Is it true? How many users among the 40M are using ODF?

We have no information on this.

> I think it will be very helpful for us to know this and set up our
> development objectives, and even do some user segmentation analysis if we
> have this info.

These are things we might be able to find out in a well-designed user
survey.  But such a survey is only good if we can reach all users equally.
But an enterprise deployment would tend to not involve the end users
visiting our website and downloading AOO.  So the easiest way to conduct a
survey, like having a survey link on the web site would under-represent
enterprise users.

-Rob